Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloned PCs not becoming SMS 2.0 Clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitarRon

MIS
Apr 4, 2000
US
I'm running a mix of 1000+ clients (Win95 thru Win2k) with most all being successful. But, I started rolling out a "standardized" desktop by cloning an NT 4.0 Workstation PC. (Cloning has been done via a hardware HD duplicator -- the Image MASSter Solo2 Pro). After the copy, I run Microsoft's SID change utility (to prevent duplicate GUIDs) then join the PC to domain.

Even though the original "master" image had SMS uninstalled from it, none of the 20 cloned PCs have become clients. Each are running the smsls.bat file at logon, and Network discovery is on. Have tried running 20clicln.bat on clients and granting user Domain Admin rights to see if it was a rights issue. No change.

These two cryptic messages that show up in two of the client's log files:

The APASetup.LOG reports this:
The file C:\WINNT\ISMIF32.dll could not be copied. Make sure that the disk is not full and the user has rights to the directory.

The smscli.LOG reports this:
ERROR: Call to GetInstalledOSLanguage/MapLanguage failed to return system language settings or DLL not found in language directory. $$<smscpl32.cpl><Thu Jan 24 11:47:56.030 2002><thread=106 (0x6A)>
ERROR: Cannot display control panel icons $$<smscpl32.cpl><Thu Jan 24 11:47:56.030 2002><thread=106 (0x6A)>

My single site system is running SMS 2.0 sp2 (NT 4.0 sp6, Sql 7.0 sp3) all on same box (which is also our PDC).

I'd appreciate any ideas.

GuitarRon,

Did the image that you cloned contain the sms.ini file, if so I believe your problem might have something to do with duplicate SMS ids.

Checked my master and clone image. No sms.ini file anywhere on the drives.

Hi,

Had you Admin$ share on all of your cloned Workstations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back