Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cloned partition doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpinetech

Technical User
Mar 16, 2006
CA
I used ghost 2003 to clone a partition to a partition on my new sata drive. the transfer was successful. but the bootup isn't. i did some investigating and went into recovery console and used the fixboot c: and fixmbr c: utilities. I still cannot bootup with my new sata drive. anymore ideas.
I know if i do a disk to disk copy it will work but i have data on a second partition on my sata...(which will be deleted if i do disk to disk.) any ideas, thanks.

alpinetech
Is the Sata drive set first in the boot sequence?
Does the image contain the required SATA drivers for your new drive to be detected
Are bios settings enabled for this SATA drive
Is the original drive still connected

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I disconnected the old drive and allowed the sata full control. The settings in the bios are enabled for sata.

I set the partition to active and still didn't work.

soo..

i went into recovery console and did this
bootcfg /rebuild
I then copied ntldr and ntdetect.com to c:\

I booted the computer and it worked. the windows xp splash screen appeared. BUT... it freezes before the logon prompt(after the splash screen)

any more suggestions?
if nothing else works then i'll be reverting to plan b.. which is cloning drive to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back