Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloned Hard Drive will not boot. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

farace

Technical User
Feb 3, 2003
CA
My plan of action is to replace a flaky Windows 2000 Western Digital 4GB hard drive currently assigned (Disk 0, "C" drive, master) with a new Fujitsu 18GB hard drive. I installed the new Fujitsu hard drive assigning it to (Disk 1, "D" drive, slave). I then proceded to successfully clone the drives using Ghost 2002 image software from Symantec. I then removed the Western Digital drive and replace it with the Fujitsu drive making the Fujitsu the (drive "d" - disk 0 - master). After restarting the PC, the PC would not boot. I then reinstall the Western Digital as (drive c disk 1 - secondary) and booted without a problem. I also got the an error message indicating that the swap file was missing. What do I need to do to boot from the new fujitsu 18g hard drive? At this point, it seems that my primary (disk 0) assigned the letter "D" will not boot. It seems that I have to reassign the drive letter d to c and c to d. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks for your time...

Matthew

well i use partition magic to copy the partition from one drive to another. that might work better, it never had a problem. just format the other 1 and start over.

i dink i kno what happened. i had the same problem w/ my friends drive. it seems as if it prob did not finish, and that there is a file on ur C: drive that has a file crucial to access data or boot up the other drive. i 4got what that file was, but i suggest u using partition magic. you can just download it off of kazaa. good luck.

After installing the Fujitsu as your master (boot) drive you may need to run fdisk and set the drive to active. I'm not sure if cloning the drive will make it active.

The other problem is that the boot files still reside on C, and although D is a clone, it's MBR is not the same, because it's still D, even though you've moved it into the master position.
To sort it all out, pull the old drive. Install the new as master. Fdisk, make Active, and format the drive.
Install the old drive as slave, boot to the Ghost diskette.
Clone the old to the new.
Now it will boot. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks Jim,

Can I assign the new drive as the "C" drive and if so, wouldn't that complicate the cloning of the hard drives when I reinstall the old drive which is already "C". If I already cloned the drives, would I cause any problems by changing the drive letters from "D" to "C" and then boot the PC.

Thanks,

You can't "assign" C. It is unchangeable, which is why the computer won't boot. C has remained C, and the new drive has been assigned D. You must undo this bit, by installing the new drive, and fdisking it as single, then installing the other drive as slave. Booting to the ghost diskette prevents drive letters from getting messed like they are.
Once ghosted, the new drive will become C (which is what you want), and then a boot into Windows will reassign the old drive to D.
Don't get confused by the master/primary position of the drives. Just because it's there, Windows (XP) will still assign the next available drive letter to any new drive, and move your optical device(s) up one letter.
By booting directly to the ghost diskette, NOT windows, you bypass Windows assigning letters, and only have drive 1 and drive 2. Clone drive 2 to drive 1, and now the new (drive 1) becomes C (Yay!). Set boot order in BIOS to boot from C (or A, C, CDROM), and it will boot to the new drive, assigning D to the old drive. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

One useful option, which I use frequently is the fdisk /mbr parameter to write a new master boot record to any drive you want to become the boot partition. Simply boot up with the floppy with fdisk on it and use fdisk /mbr. This is also useful if you want to get rid of another operating system's MBR (like Linux's LILO, or NT's boot loader) and go back to DOS/Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back