Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clone HDD whilst running Windows 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP81

Programmer
Apr 11, 2003
AU
Hi,

I recently made a boot disk for my father which has two menu options:

1. Backup Drive 1 (copy drive 1 to drive 2)
2. Restore Drive 1 (copy drive 2 to drive 1)

All it does is use ghost with some scripts to automatically do the cloning.

This all works well, but he wants a solution that will do a backup while running Windows (even if the PC is not sitting idle). Personally, I prefer my method as it is more foolproof.

There is a lot of backup/restore software available, so if you'd tried any and had success I'd like to hear your opinion.

Thanks,
Adam

Acronis True Image will image a drive while Windows is running, including the system drive.

Acronis True Image is quickly becoming the leader in this area, and I've installed it for several customers who have nothing but good things to say about it (intuitive interface, reliable, feature-packed, etc).

I've also been an avid Ghost user in the past, so I still recommend it too. Truth is that both have similar features and can do incremental backups while Windows is running. Of course, older versions of Ghost will not but newer versions do.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

I worked alot with Acronis TrueImage at work, and found it is kind of quirky, but worked reasonably well. Backups were no problem, but I was trying to automate the restore process, which turned out to be very tricky. My problems were really a function of the fact that no backup software that I know of will schedule a restore, so for the typical use, Acronis will do the trick. I tend to use Ghost at work mostly, since we store our images on the network.

The one big problem I had with TrueImage Workstation 9 was that I could never get the Backup server that is included to work correctly. It would never install, but I have yet to use TrueImage Workstation Echo, so I can't say if it is fixed or not

AP81 said:
he wants a solution that will do a backup while running Windows

NTbackup is included with XP Pro and works well: Start->Run->ntbackup

It enables a bare-metal restore of everything you select in the destination you select, including System State. I have used it in the past to restore my SBS server and it did a wonderful job.

ASR is also available through this Wizard.

They both run while Windows is in use but I schedule NTbackup for late at night when the PC is not in use as it will slow the machine down. It's hard to beat the price...

Tony

Users helping Users...

dseaver said:
no backup software that I know of will schedule a restore
The imaging engine in Zenworks will. Great stuff Zenworks, but massive overkill if you're only concerned with a few machines. It's a full-on desktop management suite.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Thanks for the responses. I'll definately give Acronis True Image a go.

NTBackup looks okay, however it doesn't clone/image the drive. My main goal here was I needed a complete backup to a seperate hard drive, so in the event of a failure, I don't have to reinstall Windows from scratch.

AP81,
Your right. It's not a true imaging program. However, with the right selections in the wizard, you can effectively backup the entire drive:

However, after reading this article, I have to question its reliability over the option of paying for a 3rd-party backup program:

If something goes wrong, who do you think is going to value your time more when you call them - Microsoft or a 3rd-party outfit like Acronis? I'll put my money on Acronis...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein

I use Acronics True Image Server as my backup program. Everything is fully automated and a new backup is made on switching off. The backup drive is in a different location as the original. On boot up it boots from the backup drive and so on. The maximum I can loose in a disaster is one day of work.
Best regards

Jurgen

Yes, it clones as well.

~cdogg

What on earth are you doing that can cause so much worry that you want a daily backup\restore of the OS?
I backup my data to 2 or 3 USB drives, rebuild my main OS's perhaps 6 monthly (only because of software installed\removed etc) and if there is something I want to play with that's out of the norm I put it into a VM session.
Daily backups and restores is just way too much for me, I have no issues should any of my machines fall over because the important stuff is backed up anyway (and rebuilding the OS?? 30 mins with an N or Vlited dvd).

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Simon,
I don't believe Adam has said he needs it to work daily. The emphasis is to have a backup program that can work in the background while Windows is running. He can then schedule it to run as needed (every 2 weeks, 2 months, whatever) most importantly without requiring any action by his father.

We all know what it's like trying to support friends and relatives. Seems like they call more than they need to! Having a good, automated backup routine makes our lives easier!

Everyone's got a different way they like to do things. To each his own I suppose...

~cdogg

Hi

I use Norton Ghost and it has saved my tail on a number of occasions.

I now make a new complete Ghost image regularly when my computer is running particularly well. It is very reassuring knowing I can always get back to this point again.

The boot disk it creates will save you when it crashes and won’t reboot even in safe mode. That has happened to me once but more often I run it from within Windows to clear up some kind of problem involving intermittent crashes or just poor performance that can’t solve.

It will run in the background while you are working to make a back up but I usually set it to do it as fast as possible and leave it alone for an hour.

Anyway I’m happy with the way it works.

Mike

I use norton gost all the time for customers images on the go (Run's while windows is running) no issues. Acronis is also ver good.

Thanks for all your input.

I ended up using Norton Ghost as True Image was a bit of an overkill for what I wanted to do. Ghost isn't too bad on resources and seems to do the job pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back