Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clone apps from old phone to new

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0ckser

Technical User
Jan 4, 2004
CA
Old phone is a Nexus 4. New phone is a LG G4. I used Google backup on my old phone thinking it would back up the apps including any data that goes with them (e.g., configurations for my Locus Pro maps; scores on games; text message history). Not so. All it does is record which apps I have and encourage me to d/l them from the app store... at least that's my take on it.

I have tried Helium App Sync and Backup, and was able to get part way through (app loaded on my old phone, data transferred to my computer) but the app would load to my new phone.

All suggestions are appreciated.

per ardua ad astra

I'm not convinced that phone apps from different ecosystems (Nexus | LG, for instance) are compatible at the binary level, at least not in the way that allowed you to copy apps from one computer to another under MS-DOS and really early versions of Windows. I'd have to say you're doing well if you can get your new app to import and use the data from your old app.

In fact, I can think of only one app, 'Out of Milk', I think, that allowed me to store my data to the supplier's website using my Note1, and retrieve it using my Note3. All the rest had to be re-loaded from the app store, and provided no way to transfer my data from old to new.

Thank you both for offering your thoughts so quickly.

strongm - I have been to that website and tried Helium, but maybe I should give it another shot.

..regards..

per ardua ad astra

FYI Google backup is limited for app data - it is dependent on the developer implementing it - Uptake has much improved over the past year and it's one of the things I watch out for when selecting a new app. I have in fact recently worked through my "go to" list of must have apps and changed several on this basis.

TazUk

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.
Martin Golding

Feedback
Helium works to a limited extent: backup to the cloud is the best way (@ $5), and only some of the apps retained their modifications.

per ardua ad astra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back