Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clock Divider 100MHz to 26MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunil401

Technical User
Sep 22, 2008
US
Hi all,

Following is the sample code for 26MHz generation from a 100MHz input clock.

entity c1hz is
port( clk:in bit; clkout:eek:ut bit);
end c1hz;

architecture behavior of c1hz is
begin
process(clk)
variable cnt : integer range 0 to 383;
begin
if(clk'event and clk='1') then
if(cnt=383)then
cnt:=0;
clkout<='1';
else
cnt := cnt+1;
clkout<='0';
end if;
end if;
end process;
end behavior;

Can somebody please tell me if this is right or not.

sunil401,

Unfortunately this is not correct.

What you have made here is a signal with a period of 261 kHz (100MHz /383) given that clk is 100MHz. Also the signal you made will have a period of 1/261 kHz but will only have a small duty cycle (1/100MHz on time). This is not really good if you want to use this divided signal as another clock.

With clock division you have to keep two parameters in mind, the frequency (period) and the duty cycle.

The easiest divisions are dividing by powers of two. Say you want to make a frequency of clk/4 you use a 2 bit counter on the base clock and the MSB is the new clock.
for /16 you use a 4 bit counter and the MSB.

Dividing by powers of two also results in nice 50% dutycycle clocks.

For division of none powers of two the principle is similar, only you will not have a duty cycle of 50%.

for example say I want to divide 100MHZ by 7. I use a counter that counts 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 and the autowraps to zero.
Then you will have a signal that has a period of 1/7 th of 100MHz. You can either make the outclock 1 in states 0,1,2 and zero in the others this will result in a duty cycle of 42.8% (3/7th) or you can make the outclock 1 in 0,1,2,3 and zero in the other this will result in a dutycycle of 57.1% (4/7th). Both are acceptable for clocks. You just cannot make it to0 small.

Now still assuming that you want a clock of 26 MHz from 100MHz. This means 26 MHz is 3.8 times smaller than 100MHz this is not a integer(natural value) and thus difficult to do in hardware. The closest you can get is dividing by 4 which gives 25MHz this is an error of about 10%.
This is i'm afraid the best you can do.
Sometimes if the division factor is higher (for example making baud clocks for uarts or so) the base clock is increased so the error can get smaller in some cases. But this is not the case for you.

I do not know what the application is your using this for, but it would seem better to use an external clock divsion IC (cypress or IDT for example) if you really need accurate division.

Also depending on the FPGA or PLD you are using look at the primitives. DCMS can prove handy and also PLLs (Altera and Xilinx V5) could fix your problem, but read the documentation carefully.

regards

jeandelfrigo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back