Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clipping a vector based image in illustrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenGoble

Technical User
Jul 15, 2009
GB
Hi,
I'm working with two maps, one of which I'm trying to overlay over the other. However, the vector map to be overlayed is too big and can't fit in the illustrator work area(i.e. if you zoom out all the way, the white box.) Now I tried clipping the vector map so that it just showed the area I need but it still resulted in the same problem.

Question: How do I properly trim this vector map down to the area I require? So far I've tried to overlay a rectangle then pressed;

Object > Paths > Divide Objects Below

This trims any fills to the specified rectangle but doesn't seem to cut through any existing vector paths. Is there a better mthod and am I missing something?

Thanks

Ben

I'm not sure from your post if the problem is scaling your artwork (in which case, just use the scaling tool), or clipping it.

Generally, clipping just 'hides' a portion of your artwork. The usual way to do this (maybe you've done this already) is to draw a shape over the artwork you want to clip, select the artwork AND this shape, then go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make. The rest of the artwork is still there, just hidden.

Sometimes, this 'hidden' artwork can still get in the way, if you're trying to select something else for example. There are a few strategies you could use: putting it on to its own layer can help, as it can be locked or hidden when you need to work on another part of your image. Alternatively, save the clipped artwork as a separate file, then File > Place it into your final artwork.

Like I said, I'm not sure if I've understood your problem correctly (it's been a long day!) so feel free to clarify if this doesn't answer it.

...to add to blueark post above...

...to cut vector paths, you have to expand them to shapes (object > expand), then the pathfinder functions allow you to cut them...

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back