Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clipper across VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadIslets

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
US
I'm running a Clipper app across a VPN and it loads VERY slowly (approx 10 Minutes). I'm wondering if anyone has encountered a similar situation and what they did about it. The OS is Windows 2K Server w/2K Pro running on the workstations. The particular app opens four files. After opening the fourth file a set filter condition is invoked. By checking the byte count from the VPN software I've determined that approximately 10 meg is being transferred to the workstation before the app is displayed on the screen. My theory is it has something to do w/the filter condition. I've always assumed that all filtered records were kept in work files on the server, however after watching the byte count on the VPN software go thru the roof this does not appear to be so.

If anyone has ideas about what is going on here and what might be done about it I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,

Keith

Where is the program running (W/S or server)?
If it is on the WorkStation you have a problem. Since it is the program that is determining whether a record meets the filter condition you are effectively transferring the entire file over the connection.
You have 2 options:
1. Login to a _workstation_ on the network via something like PC Anywhere($$$) or TightVNC(free) and run the program from there (W/S). Now the program is running locally in the Server environment and only the video is being transmitted to your remote machine.
2. Install Advantage DataBase Server from Extended Systems on the Win2K server. This will require a (very) few program changes and will cost $$ but will speed up the app for everyone - local and remote, not to mention that any index foul ups will totally disappear (unless your server crashes!)

Georgia Telnet Server is a good solution. If you will be running a lot of concurrent sessions, converting the app to xHarbour is worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back