Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clipper 5.2e and Windows 2000 screen problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtieChappie

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2001
GB
I am currently testing our very large clipper based MIS under Windows 2000. The app. seems to work OK apart from the fact that when I run it in 'Full Screen' mode the application only covers the upper half the screen. Everything is there it's just compressed to half the size. Any ideas please or is Win2000 a bad idea?

AT

When my company's client base started upgrading their DOS machines to Window 95 and greater, there weren't any reported conflicts with our large programs. That is until a few went to Windows 2000. That's when the code hit the fan. Graphics were not displaying on the screen, reports were printing correctly and we had our share of screen display problems that you describe as well.
In my opinion, Windows 2000 is one upgrade to much for the DOS based language of Clipper 5.2e.

You need to modify the screen layout under the properties of the icon that your program is on ... 80 and 25

Win 2000 is a better 'idea' than 9x or Me for stability of a platform; however, I'm finding that Blinker 6 seems to be the 'required' linker, and there are some subtle tweaks necessary to get Clipper apps to work properly. Screen size, user rights, 'net use lpt1 ...' among them. Hope this helps.

I've spent an entire day so far, trying to figure out a Clipper/Win2k problem and tlc00 just hit several points I need to know about.
Please elaborate on BLinker 6 being required, what problems did it solve etc. Please address screen size and especially the net use lpt1 comment as that's my biggest problem while using Escape 4.0. My ancient Clipper app is dying on a plain hpsetfont() call with an error reading an .fnt file. It works on w95/w98 systems fine. Printer HPLJ5 on Jetserver card internal, all on NT4.

Thanks for all your 'posts'. I'm fairly sure that I could sort out the screen problems. The biggest problem is to do with printing in that the app itself is running on a Novell server and uses the Novell print queues for printing. To do this I use NovLib 3rd. party library which allows me access to many Novell type functions eg. logging on to other servers within the 'Tree' from within the Clipper App.

Is anyone 'in the same boat' and if so how did you fix it?

I have printed on NT/2000 & Novell without too many problems. Useing 2K workstation I did have one glitch - I had to set a local printer pointing to a network printer in order for it to work. but this was only ony occasion.
You can use the Net Use LPT1: \\.....\.... command or the Capture q=cccc l=1 nff nb command to set the printer ports.
Clipper app prints happily as long as they are set under DOS. E-mail me and I'll see if I can dig out an old sample test program I used for testing several methods.
pck@tokleyhiggs.freeserve.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back