Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clipper 5.01 in Win2k 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

epsison

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2003
PH
How can a clipper 5.01 program run in a pc using Windows 2000 Professional?

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Edit C:\windows\system32\config.nt and change the Files= value at the end to a reasonable number. Make sure that you have a solution in place for the CPU hogging, have a look at for methods if you are not already doing it. Consider going to 5.2e as it's more stable.

Having done the above, run your app from a command prompt of shortcut and you might be OK.

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Thanks Bozz, I have already given the appropriate value for files in config.nt. I also have checked the linked that you gave. Can you please further clarify the solution for CPU hogging? Using the same CPU and Windows 98, the program works fine but with Win2k it doesn't work. Is there anything I have to re-configure. I could not upgrade to Clipper 5.2e because I think the source codes are incomplete.

Thanks again

Epsison

CPU hogging is a problem with native Clipper on newer versions of Windows (2k/XP).

When a Clipper program gets to a 'read' situation it completely swamps the processor on the PC with requests for keyboard info. On my machine here it gets to over 50% CPU usage on it's own (peaking at 100%) at that's a 3.2Ghz P4!

Most of the time, when not in a 'read' it behaves quite nicely.

If you don't have the full source code, I'm not sure what you can do about it.

Have a look here:

HTH

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Do you get any error messages? The CPU hogging will not stop the program running on 2000/XP but it slows everything else down. If you look at the performance in task manager (alt-ctrl-del) and it's 100% or near all the time then you have a problem. The problem is Clipper does not release the CPU in wait states and this affects 2000/XP more than 95/98.

Are you able to recompile the program, if so then you can add a couple of lines and a library to fix it. If not then there is a patch programme that may work of your exe's are not compressed by the linker (Blinker).

Come back with a bit more info please.

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

I just tried the idle program on that oasis link on my test app - brilliant!

Now during idle the processor is running at 0% exactly what you would want!

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

I used that patch for quite a while prior to the FT_OnIdle function in my code and it worked well.

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Ian,

Have you come across any other methods for previously compiled .exe files - this one seems to have been very well thought out (by an Australian company working with Citrix).

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Griff,

No, that the only one that I've used for existing programmes. The problem is if it's compressed with Blinker then it doesn't work.

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

I follow that, I'm using Blinker 3.1 so it doesn't apply.

That compression, would that be what is locking out Valkerie question on this forum?

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Maybe that or maybe the programmer took steps to prevent decompilation.

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Thanks guys.

Actually whenever I run the program, this error message appears: run-time error R6003 - integer divide by 0

I think I found the source codes and I tried re-compiling it again under Win2K using blinker and rtlink. It resulted in the same error message.

Epsison,

I think I've seen a note regarding divide by zero errors on that oasis site (not sure) - they may have another patch to help you.

Martin

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back