Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clipper 5.0 or 5.2 and Y2k Compliancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nina

Programmer
Jun 18, 1999
US
Back in the mid 1980's I developed several Clipper systems for a client. I asked if they wanted 4 digit dates and they laughed and said there's no way they'd be using the systems in 2000. Well, the joke's on me. They've asked me to make the systems Y2K compliant. This CAN simply be handled by modifying the code to recognize the century and converting old dates to 4 digit dates right? I mean, is there anything inherently in Clipper that would make it not Y2K compliant. I'm talking about versions 5.0, 5.2, nothing more recent than those. Could someone answer this for me. I don't think these are huge changes in these programs, but I'd hate to think I've fixed everything only to find out that Clipper itself had a Y2K problem!<br>

I've had the same problem.<br>
<br>
To fix it only changed some monthly dbf's file names adding the 4 year digits.<br>
<br>
Internally just used set epoch command and set it to 1980, some how clipper manages correctly the y2k problem with these minor changes.<br>
<br>
Regards.

As far as I know there is no problem with Clipper and Y2k. We have "fixed" our code. You might want to look at any date calculations in your code that might cause you a problem. We had some. These were not Clipper problems but programmed in problems such as calculating from the last 2 digits of the year when there is a very large range of years. I have now forgotten exactly what the problem was but it was mine not clipper's.<br>
<br>
Perhaps you don't have any poorly thought out date calculations but I would look at them.<br>
<br>
Good Luck<br>
David Coulter<br>
CoulterDavid@Hotmail.com

Thanks guys,<br>
<br>
You gave me the answers I expected, but it was still nice to hear.<br>
<br>
Nina

Check all of your date calculations in the code and any 3rd party libraries you use will require a Y2K Compliancy Certificate from the Vendor. If you are using Blinker to compile your prg, Version 5.0 is the only version the company will give a Y2K Compliancy Certificate for.<br>
<br>
Just finished a year long Y2K Enabling Project for a multinational Insurance Company and we had no problems with Clipper.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Pete

How do you use the SET EPOCH command. I cannot find it in my old books. We are doing a system rollover and it finds the system date fine, but when we have data entry into a date field and you enter 00 into the year it assumes 1900.<br>
<br>
TIAFYH ---<br>
<br>
Lori

I Just added one command as 'Set Century on' and it works fine with clipper summer 87.

Set epoch can be used in clipper 5.0 on. The way it is used is &quot;set epoch to 1930&quot; near the top of your program. Then all dates with two digit years are interpreted as being from 1930 to 2029. Thus <br>
CTOD(&quot;05/01/10&quot;) would be May 1, 2010 This works fine if your dates can all fit in a 100 year span. If you have clipper summer 87, though, you may be stuck.

Is there a fix for earlier versions of clipper? My company has a BBS running on clipper 4.0. And they have no plans to upgrade it as of yet.<br>
<br>
Thanks.<br>

Try the command, nnetsdate(), for date system from the server.<br>
You will find, the year become '0100' ??????? instead of 2000<br>
<br>
bye<br>
koes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back