Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clients unable to explore network although network shortcuts work 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmund1978

Programmer
Jan 25, 2001
GB
I've recently installed Microsoft Small Business server 2000 for a client (basically win 2000 server with other servers such as exchange on top for those not familiar). It's been running fine for a week, then someone installed something on it and I got a call out because noone could connect to it. I determined that WINS was down and then traced the fault back to the network card. For some reason the network card was disabled (couldn't determine if this happened by itself or was due to user error in my absense). After re-enabling the network card and rebooting, everything seemed ok again. Users can access their folders and use exchange etc. The only glitch is that they can't browse the network under entire network in explorer (it gives a message saying that it is not a valid operation or something to that effect). Any ideas? Works as normal on the server itself.

First thing to check would be under Services. Look for Computer Browser. Make sure it's started and set to Automatic.

Thanks, I'll try that when I'm next at their site. I'll post back here if I have any problems. I'm assuming you mean this service should be started on the server.

Are the clients all win2k and above? If not than it's most likely a WINS issue. Try rebuilding the WINS database but make sure replication is working if you're using multiple WINS servers.

Clients are all Win2K. I'll try rebuilding the WINS database also. Thanks. Is that straightforward to do?

Bronto is correct, but make sure w2k pro's has browsing disabled. You don't want clients becoming master browsers. Can cause grief, been there, done that. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."
Jean de La Fontaine (1621-1695); French poet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back