Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clients Time changed upon login to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLADY218

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
US
I have a test area right now.

1 Windows 2000 Advanced Server
2 2000 Professional Clients

When I log in from the clients to the server the time on the clients keep changing. What is causing this (sychronization?) and how can this be fixed.

Thank you

Have you a net time command in your login scripts? Is the Time Service set to synchronize with the control? Why would you NOT want to synchronize your clocks? The vast majority of people are desperate to have their clocks synchronized.

LoopyLoo has a good points - check your login script. Your "testing" sentence is easy to miss, so I'm going to assume you don't want time synchronized in your test environment.

Generally it's a good idea to synchronize time because this makes things sane. ...Even though, in our experience, Win2K is horrible at keeping it consistent - NT4 was worse - we use a hodgepodge of freeware instead.

To further an answer to your question, which LoopyLoo already gave a good response to, in windows 2000 services is a service called "Windows Time". I'm betting stopping this, and setting it to manual, will stop the timesync. Someone correct me if you know otherwise.

VLADY218,

Is there any reason why you don't want your DC and your clients to have the same time? Are they in the same time zone?

Patty [ponytails2]

Im sorry i must of been misunderstood. I want them to synchronize so the time will be correct on the clients. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks for your good comments

You can manually configure your clients to request time from a specific source by using the Net Time command.

Open a command prompt at the client and type

Net time /setsntp:Servername or IP address

Hope this helps,

Patty [ponytails2]

Within DHCP manager on the server you can point to your Time Server as well. Then this gets handed off to all the clients as they login. That is if you are running DHCP.

I will try all your suggestions soon. I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back