Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clients "dropping out" of SMS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HupAhh

MIS
Oct 24, 2003
IE
Hi,

I'm having trouble with a couple of PC's which have "dropped out" of SMS 2003 (due to being off the network) after previously being fully available. On the client side the Advanced client is installed and the SMS Service is running. When I look at the machine in a collection it doesn't show up the site code, client is No, assigned is Yes, client type is blank, obselete is blank and Active is blank.

I've tried pushing out the client to the PC again and everything looks Ok in the CCM log except for one or two lines (sorry about the direct cut and paste from the log)

Attempting to make IPC connection to share <\\Test PC\IPC$> SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 14/11/2005 09:19:14 2428 (0x097C)
---> System OS version string "5.0" converted to 5.00 SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 14/11/2005 09:19:14 2428 (0x097C)
---> Could not retrieve the heartbeat time from the client (2) SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 14/11/2005 09:19:14 2428 (0x097C)
---> Unable to retrieve a sites list from machine "Test PC". SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 14/11/2005 09:19:14 2428 (0x097C)
---> Unable to retrieve travel mode switch from machine "Test PC". SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 14/11/2005 09:19:14 2428 (0x097C)
---> Unable to retrieve pending command value for sms client base components from machine "Test PC". SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 14/11/2005 09:19:14 2428 (0x097C)
---> Could not retrieve the site config timestamp from the client (2) SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 14/11/2005 09:19:14 2428 (0x097C)
---> Client type to be installed on Test PC: Advanced client SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 14/11/2005 09:19:14 2428 (0x097C)
Advanced client version detected on target machine Test PC SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 14/11/2005 09:19:14 2428 (0x097C)
---> Mobile client on the target machine has the same version, and 'forced' flag is not turned on. Not processing this CCR SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 14/11/2005 09:19:14 2428 (0x097C)
---> Completed request "Test PC.INTERNATIONAL", machine name "Test PC". SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER

I know it prives that my site maintenance is working but how do I get the machines back into SMS once they are back on the network?

Thanks,
:p

If your heartbeat discovery is set to 1 week (which is default) then it will not be shown as assigned till next time the heartbeat discovery cycle is run. Try cahnging your heartbeat discovery to as small as it can be, 1 hour if you want it right away. Let that hour pass and do something like ADS discovery and run ASAP (changing Heartbeat back to your realistic schedule) dont want it to be running every hour.

Otherwise wait ti out.

Alternatively, if you wanna just check that it is ok, and you have access to the client machine, that already has the SMS Client software installed, run the Systems Management tool from Control Panel (on the client) and evoke all the policy cycles manaually, mainly discovery Data cycle and Machine Policy Evaluation.

Let us know if that works...or it will just pop back up next time HBdiscovery runs.

Neil J Cotton
UCLan Ba-SYS Development and Project Manager
NJC Technical Productions
Software Development | Network Consultancy | Wireless Network Provissions
Member of the IETF CAPWAP Work Group

Any Luck?

Neil J Cotton
UCLan Ba-SYS Development and Project Manager
NJC Technical Productions
Software Development | Network Consultancy | Wireless Network Provissions
Member of the IETF CAPWAP Work Group

Yes, some of the machines are beginning to reappear in the collection correctly. However I did have to Install the client again from the console to get them working.

Thanks for your help
P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back