Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clients Printers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CardinalEngineer

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2001
US
Is there a way to keep all of the clients printers separate?
I am running MF 1.8 SP3 W2K SP2.
The users are having various problems receiving their print jobs. I think the print jobs are being sent to printers other than their own. I have made sure all clients have unique client names. They are only connecting to published applications. I have noticed when I connect to the desktop of the server there is always a default printer selected. Is there a registry change to have no default printer? Is there a way to keep all clients printers separate?
Also, I have noticed some auto created printers seem to be "stuck" and I have to manually remove them. I there a way around this?

Please help...

Let me start with a couple of questions...

1. Can your users see all of the auto-created printers?

2. How often do you reboot your Citrix server?

3. Do your users have administrator rights?

4. How many client printers are there?

-Mike
Michael A. Dontato MCNE, MCSE, CCA
mdonato@site-technologies.com

1. All applications are published. The users do not have access to the desktop.

2. I have not found a full proof way to reboot the servers weekly. I would like suggestions how to do this.

3. The users do have rights to create printers. All users have the same rights. I don't think it is a problem with the printer being created. The problem is getting the print job to the correct printer. Most of the time it works and it is not consistent with the user. Sometimes they are fine other times they are not. It odes not matter which server the are connecting to either.

4. There are 3 Citrix Servers Load Balanced Running Active Directory in a native domain.

Users are all remote users. They connect to a Shiva and then are given access to the Metaframes. So, it is just like they are on the local network. The users printers are both local to their PC's and Network printer. The problem happens to both. I have added all printers to the wtsprnt.inf. I have also made sure all drivers are up to date on the server.

Thanks for the help.

I will not comment on your printers as I have not had a chance to play with W2K or AD yet. However, on your need to reboot regulary. This may sound very basic because it is. Run 'Scheduled Tasks' from the Control Panel. Add a 'Scheduled Task' like so... "D:\Resource Kit\SHUTDOWN.EXE" /l /r /y /t:60 . /l = local, /r = restart, /y = ans 'Y' to all questions, /t:60 = wait 60 seconds before restarting. Of course, you 1st need to install the Resorce Kit.
This works like a charm. I have 13 servers and reboot every night without any problems. Hope this helps. -- Devil Dog --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back