Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clients not reappearing in collections when deleted. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenjd

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
GB
About a week back i deleted some client from a collection and now although the clients have all the client software installed they will not reappear in the collection i deleted them from, I have also tried to uninstall and reinstall the client software on the clients but still no joy what can I do to make them appear agian in the collection????

Thanks

Hello, when you deleted these clients did you run Microsofts
Clean Client tool for SMS.

You systems registry will hold onto to some data that tie the SID into the client for SMS.

Running Cleanclient tool removes the data still embedded in the systems registry!

The clean client utility can be downloaded from the Microsoft website.

Good Luck!

Yes I did use UNCli20.bat tool to delete the SMS remote utils but the resource still won't show up in the ALL SYSTEMS Collection when i reintall the SMS client

Woe! Well did you check the log on the systems in question?

How about the discovery method your using, once those systems were deleted was it necessary to log in to a Lan in order to have SMS re-discover these systems and re-install
SMS via the login script!

eg.. You have 5 systems which pointed to a Primary or Central site server.

IF these are deleted, a discovery needs to take place by logging onto the lan and the script will detect a change
forcing a re-install and discovery of where to send the
reported sms data.

There is a way to manually force a client to reappear on the SMS Console. That is to copy the DDR from the client into the DDM of your SMS Server. Usually somthing like
C:\windows\ms\sms\core\data\smsdisc.ddr to
SMSServer\c$\sms\inboxes\ddm.box.
I have had a client reappear anywhere from 5 minutes to about 2 hours depending on what is happening on the Network.
Sometimes I have had to repeat this procedure. But it does work.

Thanks! I will keep this for my records, Iv'e been working with SMS for a few weeks now and this forum should help me get up to speed!

Or...on the client..go into Control Panel, Systems Management.

Click the COMPONENTS tab:

Highlight the HARDWARE INVENTORY Component

Choose START. This initiates a hardware inventory that should also update the record in the SMS database. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Hey cheers for all the help guys. Oh BTW I installed all the clients on my network using the manual install (smsman.exe) becuase the login scripts cannot be used in the company. would this make a difference in rediscovery?

Just checked all the items on my SMS server and i have found out that nothing is updating for some reason. I have checked the schedules and everything seems in order. Has anyone got any suggestions on this at all?

Many people have problem setting up the SITE BOUNDARIES. You have to consider that the SUBNETs that define your site, will always use the client SUBNET MASK. Here's an example:

Say your everyone subnet starts with 10.x.x.x You might think that this is a class A address scheme. However, all clients are configured with a 255.255.0.0 subnet mask. Therefore, if you were to put 10.0.0.0 in your site boundaries, you would only pick up the client in the 10.0.x.x subnet...eventhough you have clients in the 10.1.0.0, 10.2.0.0, 10.3.0.0, 10.4.0.0...etc. Unfortunately, in the scenerio, you will have place all of your subnets into your SITE BOUNDARIES (10.0.0.0, 10.1.0.0, 10.2.0.0, 10.3.0.0, 10.4.0.0...etc)

Check your boundaries...this is the most common mistake. Also, check you schedule for network discovery...make sure that it has already tried to run. If not, schedule network discovery to run for a few hours...

Your clients should start appearing under COLLECTIONS...

Also, you should check your client machine to verify that it has installed properly. Check the SMS logs on the client c:\Windows\MS\SMS\LOGS

and check for the Systems Management icon in Control Panel. Moreover, verify that the COMPONENTS TAB is fully populated with the proper SMS components.

-hope this helps. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Sounds like this huy has covered these bases, let us know how you made out!

I got to this portion last night discussing the boudaries, I needed a little clarifcation and I think we just got it

Thanks Joseph!

Yeah all the boundaries have been set this problem only occured last week also i cannot get in to SMS Service Manager it says failed to connect to SQL server

ThenJD,

It sounds like you have a fairly major problem. You could always restore your site from tape backup (assuming of course that you have a good backup.)

Did you change any passwords in your environment? Change them back if they are related to SQL or SMS.

Also, you may want to do a SITE RESET. Using the SMS CD-rom (same service pack as your site), try the option to reset site. This should solve the problem...

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Hi,
I am obviously new to SMS.
I can't seem to discover anything on my network.
I turned on Network Discovery with a subnet and DHCP server.
Anybody any ideas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back