Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clients drop network connections every few minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I just installed VMWARE server 2 and brought up my first two virtual machines on it. Everything works just like normal except that both of the virtual machines lose their network connections for about 30 seconds every few minutes. The host network connection never goes down, but both the vm's drop off line at the same time every few minutes. I deleted the virtual NICs and recreated them and it still happens. Both of the vm's nics are bridged.

I also tried switching the host machine's NIC but have the same problem.

I can not find any errors or anything to point me to where the problem might be.

can anybody point me to where i might look to get this fixed?

thanks for any suggestions.

I rebuilt my vmware server on a new hardware Host server, moved my guest machines over to it and Im having the same problem. I have researched everywhere i know and cant find any answers. I have 5 guest os's on a vmware 2.0 server running on Windows 2008 Server R2 Host. I had the same thing happen when the Host was running on Windows 2003 Server. Four of my guest OS's "hang" at the same time every few minutes. They "hang" for a couple of minutes and then they come back and its like nothing happened for a few minutes and then they hang again. The Fifth machine never hangs. The guests are all set up the same. The only difference I know if is that the machine that never hangs was created from scratch on the Host machine. The other four guests were moved from other locations or converted using the vmware converter.

any suggestions about where to look?

Whats the disk use like? I am wondering if the hosts hdd is being tasked too much?

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

no, doesnt appear to be any excessive disk activity and im guessing if it was an overloaded disk then all the vm guests would hang instead of all of them but the one created from scratch on that host server.

I have the same issue on an XP Professional machine hosted on ESXi 4. It at times loses connection for about 20-30 seconds, then resumes. No pattern, but if I'm connected to the VM for an hour, it will happen 3 or 4 times.

I'm just starting to investigate, and will post any information I find here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back