Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client32 & Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2001
CA
Hi All,

We have just installed a few Dell 8200 stations with Windows XP professional. I've loaded the current version of Client 32 for XP and everything is running ok...except for a little problem

After logging in the first time we access a network resource (a file open from Wordpoerfect of Excel or even just listing the contents of a directory from my computer), the system takes a very long time to respond to the request. After this first one-time slowdown network access is fine.

Does anyone have any ideas to what my be causing this.

System has one Tree
Two Servers (NW4.2 and 5.1)
About 40 Workstations (Mostly Win9x, with a few 2000 & XP stations

Thanks
Michael Gillen

See my comments in the NetWare 4 forum. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I was having the same problem and I figured out it was a DNS issue. Our Netware servers are only configured for IPX file access and what was happening was we had a DNS entries for our NW servers. So the 2000 machines although I had IP unbound from the Netware client would try to resolve the server names by IP first. So what was happening since we had the DNS entries, I think IP had to time out first before the IPX protocol would take over. So once I removed all the DNS entries in our host files and DNS servers file access was much improved. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back