Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client VB App + XML File Send 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeAway

Programmer
Jun 6, 2003
AE
Hello,

Please can you provide me with some guidance.
My scenario:
ISP hosted web server with the following:
- .NET, MS SQL, Frontpage Extensions...

My application:
I have developed a webapp that allows a client to log
onto the site and add/edit/delete data in a remote
webserver SQL database. (ASP)

I have a local VB6 appliaction that, through XMLHTTP,
allows the client to add/edit/delete data from the same
remote webserver SQL database. (VB6)

Both system require an internet connection during use.

What i have been asked for now, is that the client local
VB6 application be changed so that a client is able to
work locally with the application (local MS Access
Database), and when he feels like it, connect to the
internet, select the job/contract to send and then let it
rip.

My question is, what is the best way to do this ? Should i read the application in from MSAccess, display the job/contract on my vb form and then provide a send button which will send through XMLHTTP. Can i create a physical local .xml file which i could somehow pass as a whole / attachment?
ie. ?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If I'm reading your information correctly, what you're trying to do is add an "offline" feature to the VB6 application. If this is the case, I would recommend an easy way of accomplishing this task.

First, when in offline mode, save the XML data that is normally submitted to the server to an application store folder on the local hard drive in it's native format using the Save method of the DOM object. Then, when the user connects, check to see if there are any XML data files in the store and ask the user if they would like to send the data to the central database. Once submitted to the central database (and verified), delete files in the store folder.

I know I may be over-simplifying things, but if you look at it in basic logic, the concept is fairly simple.

Hope this helps.

Glen Appleton

VB.Net student.

BuGlen,

Firstly thanks for the speedy reply. You understood me prefectly. Although i fear your knowledge of .NET and its technologies far out weighs mine. I have no problem creating the XML file locally and storing its details, but you mentioned sending the XML file to the server, how do you mean? Do i need to upload the XML file as "file" or through my application, read the XML file in, then post it to the server and delete the file?

Cheers

Rather than possibly steer you in the wrong direction with my lack of knowledge of your system, let me rather direct you to a code example by Microsoft that's available in the VB.Net resource kit. Here's the link:

The TaskVision solution demonstrates many technologies provided by the .NET Framework including:
[ul]
Application offline and online model
Application update model via HTTP (no-touch deployment)
Authorization to control user access to application features
Data collision handling
Printing and Print Preview
Windows XP Themes
Dynamic properties
Localization support
Accessibility support (limited)
Forms authentication using a database for user names/passwords
Asynchronous XML Web service calls
ADO.NET data access using SQL stored procedures
Graphics development using GDI+
Integration between .NET Framework-based code and COM applications (COM interop)
[/ul]
Also, if you haven't yet downloaded the VB.Net Resource Kit, I urge you to do so. There is a lot of really good information and sample code in the kit that you'll find useful as you get familiar with the .Net way of thinking. Here's the link to the resource kit page:

Hope this helps.

Glen Appleton

VB.Net student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back