Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsharpe29

Technical User
Dec 3, 2004
GB
I have set-up a client machine and it is connected to the domain. The GPO assigned to the users seems to be working well but the user is not able to run software like ICQ and CuteFTP etc from the client.

What would I need to change for the user to be able to run already installed software BUT not install new software?

I wanted to use group policies to install software across all my clients but I've not reached that stage of confidence yet. I'm installing the softwares on all clients as the domain administrator.

I'm not sure what information one would require to give me advice on this so please do let me know and I'll provide it.

Also, is there a way to give someone remote access so they can set this up for me for a fee? Anyone interested?

1) Was the user able to use these apps before?
2) What's the OS for the client? I'm assuming 2K3 since we're on 2k3 forums :)
3) You may have to verify the PORT on the Firewall to ICQ and FTP. What happens when they execute the programs? It won't get out, right?
4) Try adding them to the LOCAL ADMIN group for that particular PC as a test. Could be permission issue as well.

The user was previously on a standalone workstation so yes, he was able to use all apps. Now that the machine has been brought into the domain, he's not able to use the newly installed apps. The error is not firewall or port related since no application files run and the generated error is no rights to run, access denied. All clients are running win xp pro. The server is running win2k3

Are you saying I can create a local admin for each individual computer I create? I'm new to this and just learning how all this works.

Is there an intellimirror download for win2k3? I've done numerous searches but can only find it for win2k.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back