Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client re install question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonTTgo

MIS
Apr 5, 2005
US
Was wondering if I can confine automatic deployment of the SMS client to a collection? I know that turning on client push will deploy to the whole site and I know I can push to a collection, but I have to initiate the push everytime I put a new workstation into the collection. Just wondering if I can treat the client push like a package with an advertisement?

Also, was wondering what happens if a computer is a client from automatic deployment, then gets re imaged and is brought back into the domain with the same name as before? Will SMS push the client out again automatically to this workstation? Will it matter if I delete the client from AD and add it back in?

Thanks,
Don

It seems that you are having problems with your Management Point. There is a test you can run in your browser to test the MP out:

<--- This returns a blank screen if the MP is working correctly.
<--- This returns a long list of numbers and letters if the MP is working correctly.

Also, I suggest for you to download the SMS 2003 Toolkit and run the MP troubleshooter: This application will do pre and post tests that check if you have all the services needed to have SMS running properly and if you don't, if gives you pointers on how to fix the problems.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

Ok, i ran the MP tester( in the browser and i got a "This page cannot be displayed" error, so either i typed the path incorrectly or theres no communication with the MP. Now do i run the MP troubleshotter on a client station or the sms server? Same with the MP tester? Thanks for your help by the way!

Now who or what is the MP Candidate inside the MPTroubleshooter? I ran the test but i dont believe i put the correct name in the field.

Sorry ... I typed that wrong :p It should have been MP (Management Point) if you got an error, your management point is not working and that is why SMS is not working. Run the MP troubleshooter in the SMS Server. Do you have more than one SMS server? If yes, then go to the Site Settings and look at the Site Components section to see which server is acting as your management point.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

ok i ran the MP troubleshooter and it came back with 2 tests failing which are as followed: Test 1: "Verify the Default Website is running - Failed - Cannot create the active X components" Test 2: "If the MP is W2K3: Verify that the BITS is enabled - failed - cannot create the activeX component" and 2 tests were not ran which were "If MP candidate is remote: Vertify the site servers machine$ account is a member of the local admin group - not applicable- standard security mode" and "Does the SMS service account have admin rights on the MP - Not applicable-The test is not available for remote connection" And we do have 2 servers but one is strictly for the SMS software, and the other one, which is our primary server, is for the SMS database and SQL Server for SMS 03.

Well without IIS and BITS SMS cannot run. I would de-install and re-install IIS. But then you have to go to the SMS Server System Settings look for the Server Components and remove them for that server (just uncheck the components sections), reboot the server and then go back in there and check the components that you had before and run the troubleshooter again. Probably it will come back with having only a BITS problem but we can troubleshoot that when you do the IIS portion.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

SMS: I cannot install clients or discover them in the admin console. I enable the client-push installation and it does nothing. I enabled the discovery methods also, but nothing seems to be happening. I viewed the collection in the hierarchy, and theres no items to show. Also, when i run the SMSman.exe file, its unable to find a SMS installation location, even if i point it to the smsman.exe file. I'm not exactly sure whats going on because im new to the SMS software, so i would appreciate any help. Thanks.
To save time, i have the SMS software or primary site installed on a Windows Server 2003 computer and i have the database installed on our networks primary server that has SQl Server. So that server is utlized for the SQL portion for SMS.

I'm having a problem with outlook. When ever i download and install updates for office, for some reason our public folders (company calendar, contacts, etc) which everyone can access, become unviewable. For example, if i were to click on the company calendar it would display the error: "unable to display public folder" We do have exchange server, so outlook 2003 is pulling the mail from there, so i dont know if the updates are blocking a port, etc. Any suggestions? thanks.

When you say the admin console, do you refer the admin console of the main SMS server or a management console that you are connecting from another PC?

For the SMS Server, I am assuming that you did all the step above, so after that, you should run the MP Troubleshooter again and make sure that the troubleshooter pass all the tests (There may be one that would give you an error because of a bug). If all that passes, then open the browser and type the URLs that I gave you above. That is also an MP Test. If all that is passing, then we need to look at the SMS Status Messages under Site Status folder.

From another PC, you have to look at the SMS access that you may have, whether you are getting DCOM or WMI errors and the event log for more information.

Regarding Outlook, Do you have Windows XP? If so, check at the firewall. Give outlook.exe access to the IP of the Exchange Server.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

Yes the admin of the main sms server but weve uninstalled that because the PC was purchased from a business that went out of business and we dont have any software for it and we suspect that the OS install is defected because i did run some tests for SMS and it was telling me that BITS and IIS were disabled or not present, when in fact they were present and enabled. So were going to order the Windows Server 2003 and do a clean install. That PC could have been used for anything so with that, the config could be causing some problems. Whow knows. It will be better when were installing and configuring the OS for our intentions.
In regard to outlook, we do have windows XP so i will give that a try. Thanks for the tips. Ill get back to you with the outcome of the outlook situation.

Regarding the outlook problem in the previous post. It tells me the operation failed instead of what i had said in the previous posts. So now we cannot install office updates because people need the public folders but were are now more vulnerable to viruses and other security issues.

I allowed Outlook.exe access to the IP of the Exhange Server but it didnt fix the problem. Any other suggestions Globalstrata? I'm stumped. This has been a issue for quite some time now, and i still havent found a fix.

Eventhough I am experienced in Exchange and Outlook, I am not familiar with what is happening to you. I will see if I can find something and let you know. In the meantime, I suggest you post in both the Exchange and the Outlook forum of this site. Also, in the Outlook forum of the Microsoft site (

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

Yea, i dont think anyone is familiar with this problem. I've been searching the web since i was introduced with this problem, and i cant find one individual with the same problem. But yes, i will post in the outlook and exchange forums. I thank you for your help too. EVeryone have a good 4th of July!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back