Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client Printer Jobs Hung

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISAdmin

MIS
Dec 27, 2001
US
I have a handful of clients who are getting jobs hung in their client printers under their ICA sessions.

Heres the deal...
Users workstation is connected to a network printer controlled by a jetdirect device. User logs onto Citrix and the printer is Autocreated for him to use during his session. At somepoint during his session, he prints something, then changes his mind and opens the printer and deletes the job.

Now, the job changes under the printer to "Deleteing" status... but it never deletes. Now the client can't print anything else, becasue all the jobs queue up under the job that is in perpetual deletion. Logging into Citrix on the workstation as an Administrator and trying to delete the job makes no difference. The job is not actually in the printer queue.... just in the queue through this session. Nobody else has trouble printing to the printer, and looking at the queue from anyone elses ICA sessions, or by looking at the Jetdirect queue directly, it appears empty. However, the job still remains in "deleting" status at the clients login and keeps him from printing....

You can't delete the printer and recreate it... cause it has a job pending deletion. You can't just give the client a new profile and setup the printers again cause all that stuff is linked through the registry to the clients SID....

How can I get this print job out of the queue and gone for good, or how can I somehow delete the printer and recreate it for the client???

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure why the job isn't deleting properly, the "easiest" solution is to restart the spooler service, I think it will be the spooler on the "local" machine....

Highland is right, however it may be an idea to set up your jetdirect printer on the server itself rather than allowing autocreation. That way the server does'nt rely on communication with the client'spooler service.

Thanks, Highland and PeteRobi, I'll give it a try.
I agree that the easiest method would be to setup the jetdirect on the server itself, but unfortunately, that isn't an option here. That particular jetdirect is setup on a server, on the users local LAN. It services thick and thin clients on that side of our WAN. Those clients are connecting over the WAN to the Citrix Server which resides at another location, so the jetdirect needs to remain where it is so that users not connecting through Citrix can still reach the printer....

If stopping the spooler doesn't work check to see if they are in the spooler folder. If using Windows 2k. Winnt\system32\spool\printers. We had old jobs starting over even after stopping and starting the spooler and notices jobs stuck on the server. If you know the job can be deleted. Stop the spooler and browse to \...\printers and see if the .spl and .??? jobs are still stuck in the root of the printer folder.

Thanks, Solstorm...
Thats exactly what I did. Stopped the Spooler Service, then wint to the Spooler file directory and deleted all the .SHD files I saw that were older than say 1 week... Then I restarted the service... Seemed to take care of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back