Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client Printer issue - autocreation works, printer doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

derwoodius

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2005
US
I have a user at home with an HP2420, she has a Dell desktop at home. The autocreation process creates the printer and maps back to the printer. She gets error messages when trying to print to that printer or sending a test page:

"There was an error when printing started"
"Test page failed to print"

I brought her printer into the office, on my Dell GX270 the printer works as it should. On our Dell D400 laptops - with USB cable or parallel cable - printer works as it should. With the Dell C400 USB cable, the same error messages.

Windows XP on the workstations (and at her home), all have SP1 installed. Not sure what I'm missing, I've updated Dell drivers, print drivers and firmware on the printer.

I'm stumped.

Thanks and Regards -

Darin Roland

There aren't any on the workstation. For the Citrix Server, I'm not the Administrator of our Citrix farm. I've asked the Admin's to send me shots of the logs but they either haven't found related error messages or have been too busy to check.

I asked them again to send me the error logs to see if I can find messages that might be related. It doesn't seem to be a Citrix issue since the error messages are generated from the workstation and the printer does get added. The client machine just can't seem to communicate well enough to send a job.

I would take this one back to the beginning. See if you can get her to bring in the desktop to work on in your network. Do a non-citrix local print. That works with her equipment, then it's not her hardware. Check the Citrix servers and make sure there are no lingering auto created printers from her workstation, if there are kill them. Next connect to the Citrix farm and see if the printer is auto-created on the server she is connected to. Make sure the printer is named EXACTLY the same as it is on the server. (EXACTLY) Test the print from there, does the same message appear? If it does connnect a printer that you KNOW works, like a simple LaserJet 4. Connect to Citrix farm, can she print from that?
Sho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back