Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client Prining Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xizor

MIS
May 31, 2001
GB
I am posting this question on behalf of my father who does not have Internet access from his place of work. I personally have not seen MIMS so I'm not familiar with what information you may need to help me with this query. That said I have a long history in computing support so can give the general stuff.

System
My father is accessing MIMS via client software running on MS NT4. The machine has 128Mb memory and 1.2Gb free hard disk space (I origninally thought that lack of resourses could have been the problem).

Problem
When printing from the client software the print dialogue box comes up, on clicking OK on the dialogue box it clears the data off of the screen where it had been. This blanked space is also on the print-out.

Fix Attempts
The local support team suggested more memory, after three months the 64Mb machine was upgraded to 128Mb and still the same problem.
Thinking this was only an on screen problem I suggested that my father try a different screen resolution as this may have been down to the display drivers. Again this had no effect.
Other applications (Generally MS) print without a problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Darren

Which way is your father printing, there are two ways... the first is when printing a report, and this is done by submitting a job to the Mims Server, The second is to print a screen dump by selecting 'Print' from the 'File' Menu.

Drew

He is using the file print option.

Thanks
Darren

I do not have an answer to your problem but if I may suggest a work-around: use PrintScrn key on the keyboard, than paste into Word, then print from Word. This should achieve the same as the File-Print from GUI, which I believe is printing an image of the screen. Another idea is to use any screen capture software eg Snagit (also available as a free download I believe)

As Calator said, the easiest work around is using the 'PrntScrn' key (or Alt + PrntScrn to be exact). This is all that the File - Print option does in Mims.

I have seen this problem with Windows 2000.
It leaves a blank space where the print dialog was.
Short term workaround is to move the print dialog out of the way of the part you want to print. ie move it right to the edge of the screen and press enter.
Report it to Mincom. They provided us a patch MSQEXP I think which fixed it.

Thanks all, dad has been using the print screen option, I'll sugest moving the dialogue box before printing. I know he has a call in with the help desk at his office, hopefully they will raise this with Mincom and get the correct patch.

Thanks,

Darren

Darren,

Something that we have encountered when printing OGUI screens is that if the printer drivers resolution is set to high, above 300dpi we get prints absent the data. I do not know if this is of any assistance.

Jerome

I'm not quiet sure as to the details of the cure to this problem but apparantly it was related to an unrelated application using up all the resources of the computer.
Dad did then mention that he thought it was strange how the P3 500 at work did not run as quick as his P2 200 at home.
Thank you to all for you suggestions.

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back