Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client PCs do not show in SSC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

camronc

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2008
US
We recently had a blue screen on our Symantec server, after troubleshooting, we had to reinstall the OS (win server 2003). We reloaded all that was needed for symantec. now the clients will not connect to it. all the settings on the symantec server are the same: the name, the ip, installation paths, everything. i went to one of the clients and uninstalled symantec and reinstalled it. and it showed up in the managed list for symantec system center.

Is there a way for the server or clients to "re-see" the parent server without uninstalling symantec and reinstalling?

If not, is there a way to remotely perform and uninstall? i have a script that will uninstall but the script needs to be run locally on the computer and it requires user interaction with the uninstall because of the password protect. i do not have the knowledge to make a script to turn the password protect off in the registery.

any help would be appreciated. It's just hard for me to believe symantec wouldnt have a solution for this type of problem.

Camron

You could try re-adding the grc.dat file to
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5
If you use groups, make sure your adding the right one. See Symantec page below.

I believe that would hook them up with the server.

More info found here:

Thank you very much Jetly for the response and suggestion.

Man I tore that article up, I could not get the Clients to sync with the parent. When the GPC wouldnt worked I read further and found out it might need a cert dragged from the parent server. when i tired this the client had no PKI folder? I wasnt sure what to do at this point, so i just created the folder and tossed in the Cert. no dice.

Has anyone worked with the GPC fix before? If so, is there a tweak needed apart from those listed in the article provided by Jetly?

Thanks again,

Camron

Have you tried just reinstalling from SSC?

Also in a default client install this is where the cert would be.

C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\pki\roots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back