Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client package takes a long time to install

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugcrash

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2001
US
B7333(XE) SP15.1, NT(2000), SQL 2K
After initial package installation, any updated or newly built packages take a very long time to install on a fat client. Citrix Server seems to install qiuckly. Has anyone else seen this happen? Thanks, Mike

You said NT(2000). Which is it? Are you running a mixed environment?

JDE doesn't like this. It works fine, just slower. Make the servers and the clients the same OS and you'll be fine. If that's not an option, you'll have slow response time for Package Installs and the first connection to the Security server after a client reboot.

Also, you can not build packages from a 2000 client on an NT server. Don't know if it works the other way around, but I doubt it.

b7332, sp11.3, NT4.0, SQL7.0
Monkeylizard
-Isaiah 35-

Mike,

Another possible cause:

If you installed the full package with the development objects, the install program has to scan an extra 17,000 odd files in the B7 directory. Which could account for the extra time. Typically your Citrix servers don't get the development objects. I've confirmed this with Denver. Their answer was to get a faster machine with a faster hard drive (RPMs).

Hope this helps.

Dan

It will also speed up the package process IF you make sure you Anti-Virus is turned off during the process.

And don't forget to compress the packages...especially if it's more than just a few objects. Monkeylizard
-Isaiah 35-

We had some major issues with client installs taking obscene amounts of time to complete. It was happening consistently on some clients, but not all. We eventually learned that it was Norton Anti Virus. We tried turning off scanning while packages were installing with no luck - we actually had to UNLOAD Norton (actually un-check the 'Load' option).
If you're running Norton, I would definitely recommend trying this.

Good Luck!

We had the same problem after we installed Trend Anti-Virus software on our deployment server. Either it would take really long or it wouldn't install at all. The suport line said they do not have that problem with any other AV sw..guess I wasn't told the truth.

I updated the mdac and it worked a little better for a short while then the problems started again. Strange.

I can keep Trend on the server but I need to disable the scanning of .cab files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back