Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client Network Utility - upgrading to SQL2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessebo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2001
US
We will be upgrading our SQLServer 7 database to SQL2000 within the next month. This SQL 7 database is our ERP database. Our client applications utilize the Client Network Utility (that is installed with SQL 7 utilities) to access the database from the ERP application. I assume that I may have to uninstall the SQL7 Client Network Utility and install a SQL2000 Client Network Utility in order for the clients to access the new SQL 2000 database? Is this true or can I simply use the Client Network Utility that was installed with SQL 7? Any help?

I think it will be upgraded to SQL 2000 automatically.
However, I would recommend taking a backup of your ERP database, msdb database(if you have jobs/alerts defined) on SQL 7.0, uninstall SQL 7,0, install SQL 2000 and restore your database on SQL 2000.
I have seen issues when upgrading. However, uninstall and fresh install works much better.

Hope this helps.

--Kishore

The thing is the new install is going to be on an upgraded server so backups from SQL 7 are needed to restore onto the new box. Right now, if a new user needs access to our ERP system we go to the client and install the Client Network Utility using our SQL 7 CD. I was just wondering if we will have to uninstall the Client Network Utility on the clients and re-install the Client Network Utility supplied with the SQL 2000 CD...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back