Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client machine access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkd

Technical User
Jan 6, 2006
US
Hello. I have been running a Mac lab for my classroom since 1992 (but I am and have been a PC user as well). All new PC computers are being installed. Previously, I have taken care of all installations, repairs, etc. and had tremendous control over my system with my own Mac Server that I setup and admined. Now I am being expected to handle at least my own installations as well with these new machines but do NOT have admin access to the server. Admin access is having to be set up PER EACH machine. Which means, until I have that admin access, I can't do didly squat on the machine.

The problem is that my district login keeps locking up...which is not only locking me out of my district resources...but it is locking me out of the access to the local machine. I HAVE to get these computers setup for the change over before the next semester begins...but am presently stuck dead.

Is there ANYWAY around the system log in to get to local machine to be able to rights to install hardware drivers and software?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I've posted in your other thread LKD. I think you are getting locked out because you have a session still active on another machine somewhere and that session is logged on with an old password. Every time it tries to authenticate to the domain it locks you out.

You need to identify where you are getting locked out from. Do some searching in this forum and vbscript. I've posted code that will identify the lockout location.

Quickest solution for you for the moment would be to request a new (temporary) ID.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks! After reading on this forum several related repsonses, it occured to me that I had forgotten about a computer in my office. It doesn't log into the district server like the new computers, but it does have shortcuts to my shared voumes (an L drive) that I have access to no matter where I log into in the district. I don't really know the difference of the logins. On these new computers for the students, you HAVE to use a district log in, but on the computer in my office (mine from home), it just logs in...set to connect to my shared resources. Anyway, I got there today to shut it down after researching here...and sure enough, my lock out reset it self after the designated 15 minutes and I was able to log on the new computers. At least that is what I hope happened...and it is not a coincidence.

Thanks for the feedback!

Drew

Well, I have identified WHICH computers are causing my password to get locked up...but I am not sure why.

Bascially this all occured when I asked the campus admin to change my password. I have a totla of 28 PCs in my room. 26 of them require a login to gain access to the computer. They were configured bty the district techs and I have been given admin access to the computers to be able to install drivers, etc., but that is about it. Then there are two that are my personal PCs from home. They 2were set up long before these new computers came along to log in to the district server shared voulme...but even if I hit cancel at the log in, whihc it does allow me to do, the two computers seem to lock up my password.

So what could be hitting my account? I deleted the shortcuts to the mapped drives...but is there some other location where it is pulling information that was setup by a tech person that needs changing?

Thanks for the help!
Drew

You don't mention OS versions but since you say hitting CANCEL at login I assume they are Windows9X machines.

1. Delete your PWL files in the Windows directory.
2. Get rid of Windows 98. You are not protected from the WMF vulnerability and these machines are a huge security risk.

Regards,

Mark

I am sorry. But one of the machines, the main one, is XP. And I see what you mean...I have not been bypassing it. But it is configured in such a way that even if the network cord is not plugged in, the computer still logs in.

The other is an old laptop that is only 98...with 64mb of ram...it is only used in a closet that I check equipment out from.

I will follow your suggestions for the 98...is there something different for the xp box?

Thanks!!
Drew

For the XP you will need to delete any mapped drives and then recreate them with the new user id/password combo.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back