Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

client login...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdubz

Technical User
Apr 28, 2002
hello all...
a new client wants a website that allows anyone to view the main pages, but in the navigation bar, has a "client login" (using a password) to then reach a section that allows them to view only pages that specific client can see, where as other clients won't have access to that page.

as much info is appreciated.

thanks in advance,
jw

so what kind of info do u need? :)
this post is = "I would like to learn...can u teach me?"
sure, but what?! ;-)
well :) .....what u wrote down takes 20 min to get it gone...but...where do u stand experience-wise?

or ur offering a job?

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

hi, sorry for not being clearer...

i would place myself intermediate level, and looking to do this myself. i use flash, dreamweaver, fireworks, photoshop and illustrator, on windows.

i'm not sure if there is an app for this type of thing, or if it can actually done within dreamweaver. does this help?

thanks,
jw

hello hello!
Ok, ur on the right track.
Your direcdtion depends on many things...but having your experience in mind I would assume u want something cheep and easy so:
1-IIS 5.0
2- MSAccess
3- ASP /HTML/JS....

1= 2= 3=

soo....this should keep u busy :)
all the best!

> need more info?

okay... i'm an idiot. i give... unkle!

don't laugh, but i'm running winME, i know i need to go to xp, but i'm waiting til the new p4chip in october.
anyway...
is this something i set up through the webhosting server? (i just design).

i feel awful asking these questions, and seriously appreciate your time.
best,
jw

Dreamweaver can do most of this for you. In your database, you need a table listing available users and their passwords. Then, on your login page, make a quick form with a username field and a password field, and a button. Then go to your Server Behaviors tab, hit the + sign, look for "User Authentication", and select "Log In User". In the resulting dialog box, you should make sure that your username field in your page is related to your username field in your database table, and the same with your password field.

Dreamweaver will validate the login, and set the username to a session variable called MM_Username. Then, on any page you want to be restricted, create a server behavior called "Restrict Access To Page". In that dialog box, just pick the "Username and Password" option, unless you want different security levels. Presto! Instant security! :)

good grief! snoopy! is it really that easy?!
my one question would be, when you say "Database" do you mean the main webfolder/directory?

thanks,
jw

", when you say "Database" do you mean the main webfolder/directory?"
.... :-( this is going to be a long night :)
ok...
1st.
do u have any server at your hands and what is it? (not your PC at home but where this website is supposed to be?!)

> need more info?

i don't own the server, i will be uploading the site to the server. and the client hasn't given me the webhosting info yet. i know that some hosting sites give you the ability to have ftp client logon... i'm asking ahead of time so i know if i can tell him "i can do that" or "i need your host to provide that to me..."

well then ask him/ISP what I asked you... :)
-What type of server it is?
-What can u do on it?
most ISPs or hosts will give u a nice little list to what they provide....

> need more info?

question for lebisol,
the response snoopy gave me, is that not going to work?

jdubs:
what he told u are specific steps on how to use DW to accomplish this...now, as I said, before you start making clients and making promisses to them....U HAVE to know which platform and why are u using...the future of this project...will it involve CreditCards...will it sell 1 cent "stamps" or does it need to be really secure (BTW: snoopy75 read up on MM_Security)
--U can use your ME for testing:
--and use MS Access as your database
-- and use DW to connect to that database and check the password/user AND Much more....
and then go to Ultradev forums! :)
all the best!

> need more info?

no, this isn't a shopping cart, it's purely to allow a client to access a specific document (via client login and then a password) written for them and no one else.

Follow snoopy75's suggestion to do what you're looking to do...

stupid.gif

As long as the host will support active server pages (asp).

That is the point the lebisol has been making and yes snoopy75's method will do what you are trying to achieve as long as the host supports it. eg. if your client is going to go for a geocities free host then no it will not work.

Cheech

[Peace][Pipe]
If you don't stand up for something, you'll fall down. Toke it Easy.
Howard Marks.

True. The basic prerequisites for my method are:

1) ASP support on the chosen webserver
2) Some kind of database (e.g. MS Access)
3) Perhaps a little more knowledge as to how dynamic websites work... ;-)

There are a few good tutorials on the web explaining how to create a dynamic website from scratch. I would suggest Googling for those and reading a bit more before attempting something like this, especially if it's for a paying customer. Good luck!

--Ryan

Jdubz:
U don't have to use ASP...however DW "bleands with ASP" in the best way. Creating what you desire will not be that difficult but, as I said, make sure u understand what ur doing rather than just follow the "1.2.3 click here" - proces. If u DO desire ASP then there is a bunch of guys here that can help...the choice is yours....the blue or the red pill :)
All the best!

> need more info?

Would you like a really easy solution? Go to - the free version suited my client just fine and even though he's a 5 thumbs person, I taught him how to use it in one simple email message. In my case I disabled the option for the user to be able to apply for username and password and just set it so that he could allocate a password as needed and put a time limit on it. Works great.

This is obviously not a DW solution - however why re-invent the wheel when someone has already done the hard yards?

:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back