Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

client `localhost.localdomain' is not properly configured

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjagpal

MIS
May 14, 2007
US
I'm using Networker 7.2.2 and I'm not able to backup one particular client. Below is the error:

SYSTEM error: client `localhost.localdomain' is not properly configured
or `localhost.localdomain' is not in the aliases list for client `client_name'

I know that name resolution is working fine by running nslookup on both client and backup server. I'm able to ping the client from the Networker server and vice versa. The client is a Linux machine and the Networker server is a Win2k machine. I added the client hostname and ip address in Networker server host file and did the same thing on the client machine as well. Please advise. Thx.

Hi!

When the Networker client on Linux machine runs a save, it may answer the Networker Server by using the first name corresponding to it's IP adress, in your case: localhot.localdomain

Y'll find in the client's /etc/host file, a line such as:
ii.jj.kk.ll localhost.localdomain client_name other_name

If the Networker client name is not first in line, just edit the line to correct it:
ii.jj.kk.ll client_name localhost.localdomain other_name
Then, stop and start nsrexecd.

Otherwise, there is a simple bypass:
in the Networker client configuration edit Globals 1, insert localhost.localdomain in the Alias field.
That's not neat but effective.

After making the changes you've suggested, now I'm getting the below error:

* client_name:/ save: File index error: permission denied, `root' on `client_name' must have remote access privilege to client Networker_Server

To solve this problem, open the NW server's client resource and enter root@client_name in the 'Remote access' list.

I added root@client_name in the remote access list but got the same error. After googling around, I found that the short name of the client in /etc/hosts needs to be removed. I did that and everything is working now. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back