Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMess

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2002
US
I am having trouble with ALL client installs. Only the client files are copied to the workstation. The site code shows up in the .cpl, however the components never install or even appear in the components tab.

Network Logon install is ON
Remote install is ON
All discovery methods are ON
Boundaries are correctly set
SMS usernames are all present and permissions are correct according to admin guide.

I believe that this is a user rights issue. If I logon using a local admin account, the components install correctly. SMSService is a member of the Domain admins group. This group as well as the username SMSService are both allowed logon as service rights. All workstation have domain\domain admins as local admins.

What really confuses me is the fact that the initial file copy works but the component install does not. I have found no common error in the log files. If you have any suggestions please enlighten me.

It sounds as if rights elevation is not working. Does SMSservice have local admin rights? Check for CCRs in ccr.box. Are there any .tmp files? If so, rename .tmp to .ccr and see what happens.

I have had similar problems. Check the permissions in the registry \HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\software\microsoft\sms

Quite often only system ahs permissions to read the directory. Altering the permissions suddenly starts the installation

Also- File and print sharing has to be turned on on the clients.

I have the same problem. I used the logon script for user to run the SMSLS.bat file. but it doesnt' allow me to run the remote control tools. i enabled them already in the site console. any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back