Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client installation problems 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyrne

Technical User
Feb 15, 2001
GB
I'm currently testing sms2 and am having difficulty re-installing client. Things worked ok for a day or two then I started having problems at the client (too many issues to list here at the moment). What we have found is that we have difficulty re-installing a corrupted client machine (using smsman). The installation program says the install is complete, but no components are installed (they are enabled and configured on the server).
Also, after about four attempts at re-installation, I now get an access denied message when trying to uninstall the client(I'm using the aministrator login).

Any Ideas?

There are a lot of things that could be happening. You could be having mismatch of files, boundaries are not properly setup etc... In any event, You have to properly uninstall the client before you can re-install it successfully. Use the 20clicln.bat utility. This will properly remove all the files from the client. Then you can manually install it with smsman. Run smsman from the smslogon folder on the BDC or PDC subnet that the client is a part of. Maybe I can help you better if you provide a little bit more details

First, I would like to ask:
1. What Client Installation method have you turned on in the Site? And; 2. What Discovery Method have you turned on? And; 3. What Client Agents have been configured at the Site? 4. Is the client in the subnet boundary?

(4.) Check the client's IP address and make sure you are within the subnet boundary of your site server.

(3.) Check if you have enabled all of the Client Agents (not components) on the SMS Site Server in the Site node of the Admin Console. The Client Agents are the executables that are installed on the client machines (hinv32.exe, sinv32.exe etc.)

(2.) If Microsoft Windows Networking Logon Discovery is enabled, then you have (presumably) modified your Domain Controller to include the client installation method (these features are co-enabled*). This means that you can actually just double click on SMSLS.BAT in your domain controller's NETLOGON folder (\\%domaincontroller%\netlogon). This will install the client without needing to use SMSMAN.EXE.

(1.) The setting above actually turns on Microsoft Windows Networking Client Installation method. However, if you have not turned on any Discovery method, then you will need to enable this method.

As far as the Uninstall not working...what method are you using to uninstall? 20CliCln.bat, SMSMAN.exe?

MAke sure the SERVER and Workstation SERVICE on the Workstation is running. That will cause the Client to not install. If your running SP4 on the WS try reinstalling it.

I have had some problems with uninstalling client's recently
and what I did is detailed below
I deleted the following keys from the registry
(You have to be careful when you work on the registry)
HKEY_Local_Machine/software/microsoft/NAL
HKEY_Local_Machine/software/microsoft/SMS
I also deleted the MS folder on C:\Winnt
I deleted smscfg.ini also in c:\winnt
When you've successfully deleted all these services & stopping all sms client services. you must reboot.

You can now install fresh clients by running smsls.bat from a Domain Controllers netlogon folder or manually adding the smsls batch file to each users login script.

good luck

Make sure that if you're using 20CliCln that you get the latest version from Microsoft's web site. It's in the SMS Support Tools pack.

Use the /SCRUB switch. If the switch doesn't work you don't have the latest version.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back