Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client for Microsoft Networks slow to appear

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace1974

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2001
US
When I boot up my windows 98 SE PC, which is on an NT network using local profiles, the Client for Mricrosoft Networks logon prompt takes between 2 to 3 minutes to appear. There are 2 to 3 minutes of blue screen before the logon promp appears. Every other time it will appear right away. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Does this network use DHCP, or are the DNS and WINS addresses specified? If you're not sure, check with the sysadmin and see if you can run a test using a static IP address on the network. This will rule out the possibility of it being a local problem or network...
ck_blk@yahoo.com

Yes, anytime it takes a long time for the login to appear, it's looking for an ip. That's one of the ways we check here at the college to see if we're connected to the network/internet is with the computer starting up.

The network does not use DHCP. I have reinstalled the OS. I have removed and re-added the network components over several times. The Network components are configured correctly (Client for Microsoft Networks and TCP/IP). I have tried different IP Addresses to rule IP address out. Every other time I reboot the PC it takes the Client for Microsoft Networks 2 to 3 minutes to appear. If I just log off then the Client for Microsoft Networks appears immediately. It seems like a windows problem loading the Client for Microsoft Networks every other time the PC boots up.

You said:
" If I just log off then the Client for Microsoft Networks appears immediately "

Do you mean if you just log off, shutdown and reboot?

So if you were to shut down your pc completely, power it back on several times in a row, then you're saying the Network prompt will appear immediately every other time?

Perhaps a corrupted NIC or drivers? I'd make sure I was on the latest drivers and even try a different type of NIC...strange indeed!!
ck_blk@yahoo.com

Log off not shutdown and log back on.

Yes, when I shut down the pc completely, power it back on several times in a row, then the Network prompt will appear immediately every other time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back