Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client computers can't connect to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

plcman

Programmer
Feb 17, 2001
GB
Hi

This is my first server installation and I have a problem with getting the clients to connect to the internet.

I have a new server running SBS 2003 and new PC's running XP.

The clients connect to the server and straight onto the intranet with no problems. The server has internet access, the clients however cannot connect to the internet.

Do the clients have to connect using a proxy on port 8080? I have read this on some postings but I am not sure?

As I said I am new to setting up servers and would appreciate some help.

Many thanks.

Regards

Alan Edwards

Hi, the clients only need to use a proxy if you have set one up on the server (which I assume you haven't)

Do you have a 2 NIC configuration, one for the internal network and one connected to a router, a single NIC with the router within you Internal LAB or does the server just have a modem?

Adrian Paris

Paris Engineering Ltd

Google search of just tech forums & articles
(very useful, honest!)

Hi Adrian

Thanks for your reply!

Yes I have a 2 Nic config one to the LAN and one to a Netgear broadband router.

Regards

Alan Edwards

OK, no problem, as it's SBS there are wizards to configure the Internet connection and firewall in the server manager.

You need to check your clients are using the internal IP of your server as their gateway and DNS server (I believe the wizard sets this up for you in DHCP otherwise you may need to update this manually). Once you have run the wizard repair the LAN connection on a client or do a release and renew on the IP address to pick up any changes.

The client should then be able to access the Internet.

Adrian Paris

Paris Engineering Ltd

(very useful, honest!)

Thanks Adrian

Thats where i started off, I used the wizards and I couldn't get anything to work, /server/connectcomputer, and even the internet connection on the server.

i followed a Microsoft tutorial to manually set everthing up and all was good apart from the client internet access.

I currently have the clients setup to obtain ip automatically and the DNS is pointed at the server(192.168.16.1)

I am back onsite tommorrow and will try things again, just so I am clear, i shouldn't need to setup the clients to use a proxy to access the internet?

no, a proxy is another extra you can add and set up but SBS does not have a proxy out of the box.

I assume the default gateway on the clients is also set to 192.168.16.1

The internal and external networks must be in different IP ranges so your internal network is 192.168.16.x your external network (2nd NIC and router) must be on a different range.

The internal NIC should use its own address as a DNS server, the external NIC should use its own address as its DNS server and the Router adress as its gateway.

If thats all correct and the server has internet access then it should work (in theory).

If not you nay need to take a look at the NAT / Firewall settings for the external NIC in Routing and remote access (under IP Routing) to see if the settings look right on the first properties page to allow access to the internet (its fairly self explanatory when you are in there)

Adrian Paris

Paris Engineering Ltd

(very useful, honest!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back