Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client can't access to Internet through server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngaisteve1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2003
SG
I got a little problem about networking here. The problem is the client can't access to Internet. But, I manage to get some details:

1. The server can access to the Internet. Means that the line is Ok.

2. There are 2 pc there. In network neighborhood, one pc can see the server but the other can't.

3. For the client which can 'see' the server, I told my colleage to ping to server, but unsuccessful to ping the server.

4. When client (which can 'see' the server) try to access to a website (yahoo), a message saying "connection cannot be established".

These are the details I can find now. I wonder if anyone can help. Thanks.

What operating systems does the server and also the client run? I'm also assuming that you have two network cards in the server and you have some sort of internet connection sharing enabled on the server?

the server using win 98, client also.

They said everything got messed up after electricity down. and when i ping [servername] from client, it says unknown host [servername].

But, the funny thing is in network neighborhood, i can see the server and can go inside.

Check to see if you have tcp/ip enabled for the network card. you can see other computers if you have netbeui but not ping.

Net BEIU is only a one hop non-IP protocol. Need something better than that like Net BIOS over TCP/IP, or IPX/SPX.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Ok Here is a quick Step By Step.

Now Since these are all Windows 98 Sytems, this should be pretty easy.

Right Click on Network Neiborhood then Left Click on properties. All the settings that pop up should be actually the same on each PC. Be sure of that, So look at all 3 computer at the same time, After everything looks the same in the same order. Reboot pc. Now its time to get all the settings for the IP address. So you need to run a Winipcfg for the Run command. Choose the Right adapter (Not PPP, Click the down arrow and choose the next one) After that, Click on the more info tab. You will then see all the settings. Now it is important that you do this on all 3 PC's And make sure all the settings in there (Gateway Subnet Mask, DNS....) Should be the same. The IP address is going to be different oc course but they should be the same for the first 3 octect but the last SHould be differnt. EXAMPLE Computer 1 IP address = 100.0.1.2 Computer 2 IP address = 100.0.1.6 Computer 3 = 100.0.1.20 Notice the numbers before the Period is all the same, except the last set of numbers. If the numbers do not match up on all the PC's you have a problem. And at Last, Get out of there, Right click on Network Neiborhood, Click on properties, Click on Identification and get the Workgroup name, All the computers should have the same workgroup. Change if needed, reboot all your sytems and everything should be up and running.

-Reggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back