Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client Cannot Browse Network Neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwlott

MIS
Jun 21, 2002
US
I have a small office LAN and Windows 2000 server. The server is also configured to be a DHCP server. It is outfitted with two NIC cards, and a ADSL modem.

I am currently running WinProxy so that I can share internet connections. I also use it for my firewall.

I have configured port 1723 in Winproxy. The client can connect to the VPN server. However, it cannot browse the network neighborhood.

WinProxy support has said that Winproxy 4.0 does not support inbound VPN connections (only supports outbound).

I would like to configure a VPN so that our consultants can access the network from remote sites.

Our company has 14 employees. What are my options if I want to set up a VPN and still share my internet connection. Will ICS work in my environment so that I can get rid of WinProxy? Does it sound as if WinProxy is the problem? Are there proxy servers that support inbound VPN connections?

Thanks,
Jeff Lott

I would recomend getting an ADSL router to handle the internet side.

Also how are the VPN clients getting there addresses. DHCP or Address pool. If it is an pool would recommend setting DHCP up to give out addresses. This way you could push out your DNS and WINS addresses to the consultants that are going to be connecting in.

Also what protocol are your using PPTP or L2TP
PPTP requires both TCP port 1723 and GRE port 47 Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE
erikbutler@centurytel.net

That post reffers to domain trust Not VPNS Check q241251 and q308208. This should help you out a little bit Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE

I'm having the same problem.

Using VPN concentrator 3000 and the same happens with RAS.
Browsing DOES happen, it just takes 8 - 10 minutes to show the list. We have NT 4 servers, win2k machines. I'm thinking that it is trying to do dynamic dns updates....

DUNNO, im stumped.

try adding your dns suffix to your clients. in network propterties go to advanced and then select append Dns sufffix this should help. also try hardcoding the dns servers to the client just to see if it helps. Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE

If I were you I would add a PIX 501 firewall unit to connect between the Internet and your LAN.
This would give you much better security and you can terminate client inbound vpn's on that.
You will need a registered IP address from your ISP.

Netmaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back