Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client Authentication Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammo

MIS
Nov 3, 2002
AU
I've added a new client into an existing Networker backup scheme and when I try to connect from the client to the server I get the error &quot;Server <servername>: Authentication error&quot;. The server is an SGI box running IRIX 6.5.15f and the client is win2k service pak 2. Both systems are running Networker version 6.1.1 build 238. I can ping the SGI box from the windows box and vice versa so it's not the underlying network as far as I can see.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Does manual backups work? If not, then it is most likely a network issue.

On the client, check \nsr\res\servers, and see if this file is populated with the server name. Enter the name of the server with short, full quallified domain name (FQDN), and evene add the ip address of the server, each on a separate line.

To properly test the network between the client and the server, you must run ping and nslookup backup and forth, using short, FQDN, and ip address. All 6 tests must return the same information, otherwise there is a problem with network configuration. Also try traceroute back and forth.

The \nsr\res\servers file is populated and all the network tests came back successfully. Any ideas?

no. I try to start up the manual backup window and it says that it can't find a server. When I then try to start up the admin window to connect to the server it gets the Client Authentication error.

you said :
I try to start up the manual backup window and it says that it can't find a server.

So I think it's a name resolution issue, check DNS, hosts files, WINS...

The DNS setup appears to be OK. I can resolve the hostname, the fully qualified hostname, and the IP address for both the client and the server. I can ping all of the hostnames and IP addresses for the hosts involved but I still get the &quot;Authentication error&quot;.

If manual backups doesn't work, then for sure scheduled backups will not work either.

Are you sure you are connecting to the right backup server?
Use: winworkr -s <server name>
or winadmin -s <server name>

If that doesn't connect, replace the server name with the ip address.

Well... without providing more info, such as what messages come back when you try winworkr -s, there's not much more to go on.

On your w2k client C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts add:

IP-address short-name long-name

of the backup server.

On your backup server, find out what the host file is, and
add the same information for the w2k client.

Then try winworkr, nwadmin on the client again.

If this doesn't work, then open up a support ticket.

Also review the following tech bulletin:

Try to open Networker user with option -s SERVERNAME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back