Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client Apps on Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanorlando

Programmer
Dec 18, 2002
US
I just started looking at our Macola installation, and I see that the client apps are all on the Macola server, with the users running them via shortcuts to the server.

Is this a normal installation? I am getting huge spikes on my server's network card when users run the client apps. It seems to me these apps should be on the workstation, with the Macola server serving up data, not data + applications.

Thanks,
Dean

What version of Macola are you running Dean?

Rob

Hi,

I'm running 7.6.100 on MS Sql Server.

Thanks,
Dean

Dean,

Yes, this is exactly the way Macola 7x works, the shortcut is to a program on the server. In fact its the ONLY way it works.

The new version of Macola - Macola ES - is a "fat client" application where the program itself resides on the hard drive of each individual client workstation, like most of us are used to with applications such as MS Office.

Let me know if you have any questions. Software Sales, Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Well then, that's that.

Has the release date for ES been announced?

-Dean

I've pretty much made a rule of installing Macola on dual processor servers that do nothing but Macola. That seems to have helped a whole lot.

I have it (i.e. SQL Server and the Macola apps) running on dual 1GHz processors with 1GB RAM and and 100 Mps NIC/swtich.

I'm barely tickling the CPUs and RAM, but the NIC is overworked.

Anyone using gigabit ethernet? With just a dozen or so users, it's unacceptably slow.

With only 12 users hitting a dual proc server at 100 mips, you should be running like a horse with it's tail on fire. Do you have abnormally large database files ? Are you running any other apps or services directly on this server ? Are you running MS Sql 2000 ? Is there any chance the cards on the clients are set to run at half-duplex or at 10 mips?

I am using MSSQL Server 2000. There's nothing else running on the server except Terminal Server (occasionally).

I've tested this on workstations that have the 100 MB cards set on full duplex, the server's NIC still maxes out.

The database houses 1 year of data, about a gig.

Has the installation always performed at this level or is it just now happening? Have you installed the latest service pack for W2k? What kind of NIC are you running ? I get the best performance on Macola from Intel Pro 100 Server NICS. If I was going to take a shot in the dark, I would replace the NIC. A couple of things I have run into before:

I assume you are running Win 2000 server and are using TCPIP. Make sure you don't have any other protocols on the server, esp Netbeui. 98 clients, which install Netbeui by default, will generate all kinds of broadcasts to a server running Netbeui and cause the problem you described.

If you are in the mood for a little experimenting, add IPX to the server, and then remove TCPIP temporarily from a client and re-run the Macola client install as an IPX client. If your stats get better, you probably have a TCPIP problem somewhere. If they are still lousy, it is probably some type of networking hardware problem. For example, I had one just like this where it turned out to be a cheap $25 5 port hub that the client was using to tie his servers together in the server room.

What is going on in the event log or the application log? Are you getting any repeated warnings ?

Yes, NetBeui can be a real pain. Basically just use those protocols that are required for Macola to run, which would be TCP/IP.

On Macola ES, it is in controlled release and I have one client using it right now, and we are using it internally. There are a few issues but they are coming along pretty well. If you were around Macola back in the V6 to V7 conversion days, I can assure you this conversion will be a lot smoother.

If you have any other questions relating to Macola or Macola ES, please let me know.

Don Gilsdorf
Triangle Partners Software Sales, Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

"The new version of Macola - Macola ES - is a "fat client""

Try a fat ass client install....the install is close to 700MB in build 301 from Macola.

We have been selected as a beta site so anyone with questions post them.

Chadt-

Where are you located? I have a beta site in Pensacola that is going live in one week and I would love to compare notes. Software Sales, Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Well, in our case the network was the bottleneck. Even with dual gigahertz processors and 1 gig of RAM, Macola just crawled. Yesterday we installed two "teaming" NICS, and performance is tremendously better. We plan to add two more NICs to the team, and put this issue behind us.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Dean Waye
Manager of IT Software Development
G&T Conveyor
Tavares, FL

Dean,

Just curious, what made you try this? I have never heard of a need to do this in Macola, but it is very interesting. Software Sales, Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

I kept watching the performance monitor that comes with 2000, and I saw that the memory and processor were barely affected, but the NIC would max out when any user did just about anything, even log in.

I've been using the two teamed NICs for a few weeks now, and it's wonderful. I plan to add two more ASAP.

Did I read somewhere that you have an ES beta running? You're in FL, right?

Dean,

Yes I have an ES site in Pensacola running everything thru POP. Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgilsdorf@trianglepartners.com

Dean,

Did you have to do anything out of the ordinary to get the temaing NIC's to work together, or did you just install them? Any settings that have to be looked at?

Thanks,

Rob7
rbrown@cyteccorp.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back