Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client Access PC5250 causing illegal operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWmiller

MIS
Jul 23, 2001
US
All my users who have Windows 95/98 have the same problem when using Client Access Express. When they close a PC5250 session, they receive an "illegal operation" message that won't go away unless I restart the computer, and that is becoming highly annoying to them. I viewed the details of the message and it says:

PCSWS ... invalid page fault in kernel32.dll.

Any of the users running NT/2000 don't have this problem at all. I have tried a few things:

-installing Client Access lastest Service Pack (but no fix)
-IBM's knowledge base (they say to install NETBUI, but I had no luck there.)
-Microsoft's knowledge base (but they said: "Windows is behaving as it is designed to. The software that is listed as the cause is responsible for the error.")
-other message boards suggested diabling USB (still no luck there)

I am beginning to run out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The version of Client Access we use is V5R1M0.

Is there any reason why they need that version of CAE? Why not use the old CA 3.2? That should still connect you to a V5R1 machine. The version of CA doesn't directly compare to the OS version. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

Please, if you find my post useful, let me know. [thumbsup2]

That is the version that IBM sent us when they shipped our AS/400. They sent us a bulk of software and that was the version they included with it.

Why would you suggest using an older version?

Also, do you know where I can find an older version of the program? I looked around on the Client Access website but couldn't find any information about it.

V5R1 is the latest version, I have been using V4R5 and have had no problems. What version of Windows is this running on? This is a site of what is supported under each OS:
What other software is running when this happens? Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

Please, if you find my post useful, let me know. [thumbsup2]

Everyone who has this problem is running Windows 98. I have one Win98 computer that I have tried all of the things mentioned above, but I have had no success.

The only other program that is running when it happens is McAfee anti-virus.

The details of the illegal operation message says "PCSWS causes an invalid page fault in kernel32.dll." Microsoft's knowledge base said that the program listed (PCSWS)is responsible for the error.

I tried removing McAfee, but still didn't have any luck.

I also tried installing Windows Update package and that didn't work either.

I just tried testing someone's laptop with Win98 that has a minimal amount of software (MS Office and Norton antivirus + removing it as well), but.....you guessed it; still no luck. Grrr. I've tried everything. I may just have to call IBM. There message board has an exact match to my problem, but they say to install NETBUI.

I wish I had an older version of Client Access, but I just can't seem to find one anywhere online. I appreciated you help (again). Please let me know if you have any other possible solutions.

Client access express v4r5 is installed on windows98. when i start the emulator session i've got an error mesage :
CWBCO1003 : erreur winsock la fonction a renvoyé 11001 nom du système.

Can you give a solution please. thank you . ( i'm a french man)

Your english seems great, but I translated the message in French at the bottom of this reply. However, my computer translator may not have done a good job translating.

Have you checked Client Access Error and Trace Message Help?

When I checked error CWBCO1003 it gave me the following under error code 11001:

The AS/400 system name was not found during TCP/IP address lookup. Verify the AS/400 system name entered is correct. Verify the TCP/IP settings are correct for resolving addresses.

It also linked to more descriptive details about the problem that you may want to see.
------------------------------------------------------------
Avez-vous vérifié l'erreur d'accès de client et tracez-vous l'aide de message? Quand j'ai vérifié l'erreur CWBCO1003 elle m'a donné le code d'erreur de dessous suivant 11001: Le nom de système AS/400 n'a pas été trouvé pendant la consultation d'adresse de TCP/IP. Vérifiez le nom de système AS/400 écrit est correct. Vérifiez les arrangements de TCP/IP sont corrects pour des adresses de résolution. Il a également lié à des détails plus descriptifs au sujet du problème que vous pouvez vouloir pour voir.

I have the same problem like you with the users who have W98. The version of Client Access Express and OS we use is V5R1M0.McAfee anti-virus is the only program that is running when it happens too, but in my case, there are two messages, the first says “PCSWS causes an invalid page fault in OLEAUT32.DLL” and the second says “PCSWS causes an invalid page fault on KERNEL32.DLL”

Is there any solution for this problem? Thank you.

I've still yet to find a solution to the problem. I've tried service packs for both Win98 and Client Access. For the few users that still run 98 we just decided to download a cheap 5250 emulator called PowerTerm Pro (I actually prefer it over CE). I'm sure if you can find their website with a Google search.

I am having the same problems with Client Access and was wondering if anyone has found a solution?

Hello Forum,
we have the same problem with installed Client Access R510 at a Windows ME Pc. We get the message "PCSWS found error at KERNEL32.DLL".
Do anybody have a advice.

greetings

Jürgen Scholl

By chance, have any of you who have had this problem with the PCSWS Illegal Operation error recently uninstalled RUMBA?

After struggling with this problem and reading your own experiences above, we came to the following solution:

On our Win98 machines you must have the same Client Access version as your AS400 is using. For us, this meant downgrading from Client Access V5R1 to Client Access V4R5 (our AS400 is using V4R5).

Just sharing a tip that worked for us. What remains to be seen is how Client Access V4R5 will work when we upgrade our AS400 to V5R1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back