Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clicking on subform produces message "Property is read-only..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

llamaguy

Programmer
Mar 24, 2002
CA
I have a form designed to capture invoice information (vendor, invoice no, date, amount etc) and a subform, within this form, capturing child records with invoice line item detail. There are only two data entry fields on the subform, a combo box and a text box. Whenever I add a new invoice and tab down to the combo box to enter data (first keystroke or first combo list click), I get the ACCESS information message that follows.

"Property is read-only and can't be changed".

By cliking "OK" on the message I can continue without difficulty but the fact that the message box is appearing is driving me nuts. I've tried everything and cannot make it go away. I have also been supremely unsuccessful in discovering why such a message would appear in the first place.

This may not be of much help to you, but I have also had the same problem recently and I accidently made it stop. At one point I was so frustrated, I exported my forms, queries and tables related to what I was working on to another database. From memory, all was OK so I exported them back to the originals and saved over them. After that, I had no more errors. I was frantically trying to fix the problem and tried heaps of different things, so if that doesn't work, it must have been something else I did without even realsing it. I am not in a hurry to recreate the problem to find out exactly what I did, but I hope this may help you.

Your response was most welcome. I exported all of the tables, querys, forms and macros to a separate database and tried again. Unfortunately, I was not successful.

Can you think of anything else you might have done to shake this distressing problem loose.

I am sorry that I am not much help to you, as I said, I fixed this through "dumb luck" rather than "good management". I can remember making a copy of the offending main form and replacing the one that was giving me problems. I also spent ages pouring over the links between the Child and Master fields, both on the forms and through my relationships. There were also a number of compacts & repairs done on the database both with Access and JetComp.exe. Perhaps one of those things may help dislodge the problem. Other than these things, I don't remember doing anything special or very tricky. I often impress myself with new things I discover by accident, but this time there is nothing that really stands out. I fixed it and then I moved on, thinking that it was some stupid thing I had done. Now I realise that it is probably a bug and I wish I had paid more attention. Thats what happens when you doubt your own abilities I guess. Sorry I haven't been able to give you the fix you need. If I remember anything else I will certainly let you know.

I have also posted a thread today, I wonder if you have had any exposure to that problem?

Cheers

I seem to have solved this problem after beating away at it for 7 or 8 hours.

I took the advice above and sent the forms, queries, macros and tables over to a "troubleshooting" database and took the elements apart, one by one.

I narrowed it down to one particular linked field. Every time that field was entered into my parent/child link properties, the problem re-occured. Taking the field out would eliminate the problem. This however wasn't really a solution because the field in question needed to be linked.

So, in a final act of desperation, I changed the name of the field in the underlying tables. Voila! The problem went away.

For what it's worth, the name of the field was "NAME". So, if anyone ever encounters this problem and it turns out they have used a field called "NAME", the answer is clear.

Thanks for help provided.

It's considered bad form to name one of YOUR objects with an Access reserved word, and NAME is one of those biggies, since nearly every Access object has a NAME property..Your form somehow was thinking you wanted to change this object's NAME, which may have indeed been a read-only property.

78.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Another free Access forum:

Wow,

Where do I find a list of these reserved words?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back