Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Click "OK" on Local Area Connection properties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2002
US
This is more of a rhetorical comment than a question:

I've noticed that with several network related issues in XP, whether it's a vpn connection, wireless or good old pci nic, sometimes they won't work, or work correctly until I click "OK" on the Local Area Connection properties and reboot.

This is AFTER the device and drivers have already been installed and SEVERAL reboots later, and with all the latest patches, service packs installed.

Is this somekind of lame holdover from the 98 days that still exists in XP? I've seen this behavior in both Home and Pro. An example is the behavior of Ciscos latest VPN client on XP Pro, and I have "fixed" wireless connection problems this way also.

Any comments?

>Think for yourself<
...or someone else will do it for you.

Usually with XP & 2K you never need to reboot after doing changes to the network settings, I have never experienced any problems.

We have been testing out the VPN client from Cisco at work and it totally disconnects the user from what ever he got open network connection wise and then require a reboot to work. So your problem might be caused by the VPN software.

Does it always prompt you to reboot when you done changes to the settings?

Well, the issue is documented on Ciscos site. The fix was akin to uninstalling the client (version 4.0.1 running on XP Pro), rebooting, click "ok" on the network properties, then reinstall the client. It worked. The initial problem was not being able to connect at all. Once this "fix" was implemented it worked fine every time.

>Think for yourself<
...or someone else will do it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back