Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clearing Data Form Criteria - Excel 2016 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcompto

Technical User
Jul 5, 2001
US
I'm trying to use a Data Form to quickly find and view all fields of a record matching the Name field criteria then repeat the process for multiple records. I enter the name (or partial name with *) in the Name field and it displays the record. I then click the Criteria button followed by the Clear button and enter another Name and it displays the results of the first "search" instead of the record matching the new criteria. Sometimes it is successful with 2 or 3 consecutive searches but most of the time it is only successful with 1 search and I have to close the form then reopen to do another search.

Am I missing something obvious in how to reset the form for a new search?

Thanks so much for any info!

Hi,

What application?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

The application is Excel 2016.
Sorry, I should have repeated that info in the Body of the post instead of only in the Subject.

Did you click the Form button after entering your criteria?

Skip,
[sub]

No, I pressed Enter. However, after your last response, I went back and clicked the Form button after entering the criteria and got the same failed results.

I’ll continue to look.

However, I’ve used the Data Form feature a few times in the distant past (12-20 years ago) and felt isolated from “my data.” One of the features I particularly enjoy about Excel is the closeness to “my data.” I use the AutoFilter feature a lot, and more recent versions of Excel, especially using Structured Tables which I extensively use since 2007, have filters with multiple criteria built in. If I feel the need for a user community to interface with a Form, I might choose Access to develop an application.

Consequently, I loooooong ago gave up on the Data Form feature.

Skip,
[sub]

Thanks for your responses, Skip. It's not necessary for you to continue to look. I can close the Form after each search. We have 888 undergraduate students and within the next couple of weeks they will all be filtered through my desk for their advising appointments after filling out their enrollment forms, and it is much easier for me to see each student's record using the Data Form. I just don't understand why the Clear button in the Data Form doesn't RESET THE SEARCH in addition to clearing all the data fields. It sure would make things extra speedy if it did.

Thanks, again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back