Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clear_form builtin & 'required' items

Status
Not open for further replies.

kthompsn

Programmer
Feb 28, 2002
US
Have a form containing both 'required' and non-required items. In case of an error in data entry, am trying to use the clear_form builtin to clear the screen and reset the cursor to the first field. What is happening is, the cursor is being positioned in each of the required fields, forcing SOMEthing to be entered, before the clear_form is executed. Is this considered a bug or a feature, and are there any ways around it?

Hi, the problem you encountered is not a bug but a feature of the form itself. Since the required property of the field is set to 'yes' it needs a value when you try to save or clear the form. Did you try using clear_form(No_validate) option? I never use to set this property for any field, I always do the required checking when am just about to save the data. May be there is some other way around but that's how I use to handle it. As I told you earlier try clearing the form using the 'no_validate' or with some other optional values that the clear_form built-in takes. I don't have forms in my system so can't check it out for you. Good Luck!

Thanks. Was using 'clear_form (no_validate)'; am now using 'clear_block (no_validate)', to correct a different problem. Found another answer on Oracle Metalink -- my [clear] button was outside the frame i was trying to clear, so was causing navigation, and hence validation. Per Metalink, changed 'Mouse Navigable' prompt to 'NO'; so far, everything has tested out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back