Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clear failed print jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptHarrased

Technical User
Jul 7, 2003
GB
Hi All,

I need a command that can be put in a batch file that will delete all print jobs from local print queue. I wonder if bcastner knows!!!!!!!!!!!

bcastner,

How did I know you would answer the post!!! Do you ever sleep?

Thanks for the reply but i have that in my batch already. The failed jobs stay stuck in the spooler. Iam mapping to a share using net use by the way. When a problem occurs (ie: paper jam)the first job baulks the rest and I can only sort it by having the user delete all the failed jobs then run a batch file from the desktop. Hence I need a command that will actually delete the jobs from the spooler then i can stop start it. Its xp wk/st and 2000server with the xp machines running thin via remote desktop! Any help would be much appreciated as its ruining my day!!!!!

Cheers.

PsExec the batch job. It needs to run on the remote printer server:
Honestly, an out of paper condition should be a recoverable event by the spooler without any tricks.

I would, on the remote TS server, clean the printer definitions, as something fundamentally is wrong for this not to be handled with some grace:
Treat this as a "Bible" and follow the steps on the printer server. No shortcuts, no fooling around.

Best,
Bill

Cheers Bill,

Ive read the stuff you linked. I must admit to being a tad disturbed at this point as it would appear that modern printer drivers are, for the want of a better description, shit! We are currently using Brother 5040 dual bin printers and i can assure you this is not an isolated problem as all my collagues are having the same fault. Am i right in thinking that your opinion is the driver is to blame (ie altering the way the spooler behaves)?

regards,

Tim.

I've bin working on this problems too. I've wrote the batch file below to stop/start the spooler and delete the files.

net stop spooler
echo y | del c:\WINNT\system32\spool\printers\*.*
net start spooler
exit

My problem is how to grant an average user rights to be able to stop/start the print spooler by using the batch file.

I've tried the property settings and saying run as user: administrator PW: xxxx but when you restart the spooler it gives error: -

"Cannot start print spooler
Error 12: Access Code is invalid"

Idea's please? Can anything be set in "Local Security Policy" to give access to the spooler only?

Thanks

TobyT

net stop spooler
echo y | del c:\WINNT\system32\spool\printers\*.*
sleep 10
net start spooler
exit

Gents,

Thanks to both of you for the input, I'am going to see if this resolves my problem next week. Bill, cheers mate your a star!!!

Tim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back