Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clear data on host screen field before updating with new data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrm3

Technical User
Jan 26, 2009
US
I am writing an EXTRA! Basic Macro Language script to add new users to a 3270 host session.
I am getting the new user information from a MS Access db table record set via ADO commands. To add new users
to the host, you have to over type the information on fields that currently have current user
information populated. Manually, you just type the new user info and then delete any
unwanted characters in the desired screen field. Is there a way to clear data from the host field before entering new data?
An example of what I am dealing with is:
If the current host screen field is populated with user name Micheal, Alexander and I populate it from my Db table with new user name Yer, Lee. I get Yer,Lee,Alexander on the host screen.
Basically my code is straight forward. For one field 1)Dim strCtr As String 2) RS(0).value = strC
3) Sess0.Screen.PutString strC ,ScreenRowCount ,02
The EXTRA! Basic Macro Language command PutString syntax is
object.PutString String [,Row][,Col][,Page]
There are no provisions for field length.
In an attempt not to re-invent the wheel, does anyone have any ideas of a solution?

Hi,

I PutString at each field that needs to be "cleared" with SPACES for the length of the field.

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Skip

Thanks for the good advise. I used the PutString with spaces
as you advised. It worked great,prolbem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back