Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning up PC 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiat2

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
US
Any suggestions on cleaning up a PC running 98se?
thanks to all,
Frank

In My Computer go to the properties of the C: drive, you will find a tab called Tools. Go to disk cleanup and get rid of temporary internet files, temporary files and empty the recycle bin.

From Start > Run type msconfig and in the utility you get up look at all the programs that are loading with Windows and uncheck any you do not want to start automatically.

Run scandisk and defrag Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

If you want to go deeper, you could delete some more stuff, but only from DOS. This involves restarting in MS DOS mode, and at the prompt, typing the following lines, pressing the return key after each line:
DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1
DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\HISTORY
DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\COOKIESWARNING!!
It is vital you get this right, or you could delete goodness knows what!
Also, you may wish to keep your browsing history, and your cookies - you decide.

What these lines do is to delete an invisible (except in the case of the latter) index.dat file, which can grow enormous in size, and is also a quick way to purge these locations.
Deleted folders/files are re-created on re-boot, the index.dat files returning in a small, empty form. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Thanks to all, great ideas and a great site...
I was going to do the usual, defrag stuff but then they asked me to do it for others...
great site with the batch files..
thanks again.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back