Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning up: finding unused numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo111

Technical User
Aug 6, 2007
BE
Hi,

Is there a way, using some LD command, to find out which DN's are unused? (not PRT LUDN)

To Clarify: I want to know what phones, visible in Station Administration, are no longer used.
There are over 600 DN's, and only 500 people working here. Plus, some of them have Avaya's...

Apparently we had a software called Phonex... but IT tossed the PC that had it away ,during the last server room cleanup!!

OR is there a way using MAT to get a list of DN's which haven't made a call during the last 6 months?

I also read something about tracing DN's (or TN's) that weren't physically connected to a phone.. (via some kind of command of software...but I can't find that reference anymore)

thanks!

start off by printing your midnights
ld 22
prt
midn

Your looking for what is listed in your OVLY prompt. Add LD 30 if it isn't there. then during the midn, a signalling test will be performed. Your disabled sets should show up under an NWS code. Note this only affects digital sets, not analog.

You could capture an Inventory file in LD 117 on sets for evem more detailed

-->inv generate sets (give it a couple of minutes or so to extract)

-->Inv prt

Cheers !!

pbxn has the fastest and easiest way to handle this. About the only thing I could add, is to never assume a phone that comes up on the midnight reports is permanently vacant. I enable each phone 1 time, and go back 2 weeks later. If those ports are disabled again, and no one complains (maybe someone was on vacation, or out sick) after those 2 weeks, I print the phone out and keep a hard copy available, label the phone (TN, jack and user name) and store it in the phone bin.

Sometimes tho, you gotta do it the old fashioned way and do your leg work. Hope your cable records are uptodate, as that helps a lot too. Good luck!

Well that's it.... there are NO cable records.... The wiring cabinet is a huuuughe spaghetti.

So that midnight routine disables the TN automatically then?

I'll give that midnight routine a try. Right now I'm using SL1M1's tip.

Thanks guys!

Ok so using SL1M1's tip I get this after => inv prt :

Inventory Status:
Card file status is OK
88 records: 28/06/2004 12:20:17
Sets file status is OK
508 records: 19/02/2010 14:17:52

So does that mean that there are 508 ACTIVE numbers?
And how would get to see them?

LD 22
REQ PRT
Type midn

gives me error SCH011...

Also, you don't have to wait for the midnight routines. You can do it manually at your convenience. Go to LD 30 and enter the command LOOP ALL, or LOOP 4 0 (this would run the command for Superloop 4, shelf 0. Enter the command for your Superloops to do them 1 at a time) Once that is completed, go to LD 32 and enter the LDIS 4 0 (or whatever Superloops you have) and it will list all of the disabled sets in that Loop.

Wow...Telebub... that's kind of chinese for me :)
I'm just someone who has been left in charge of the PBX, with no PBX experience...ut I'll look into your tip. Thanks!

But, in theory: With the "inv prt sets", I could out all TN's that show up as 'unavailable'... right?

I'm reading up on the midnight routines as we speak...

This is the config of our DROL:

OVLY
SID 1
BKGD 044
PBXH X
TODR 23
DROL 043 135
CY45 01
MULTI_USER ON

So as I see it, midnight routine is not active. I could add it via LD 17.

If I add it, it would run every midnight, looking for TN's that don't have a handset plugged in, and disabling them.
This would also mean, that any DN's that had a call forwarding on it, wouldn't do the call forwarding anymore.
So then, I could easily re-enable such a TN if I have to.
But then it would be disabled again after the next midnight routine, I guess?

After the first midnight run, Figure out which phones are there for forwarding only, then look into using an ACD or a Phontom set to replace them. This will free up TN's to use for real phones and will not disable through the midnight routines.

You could "blast" and e-mail to all users saying you are doing a system audit, and need everyone's name, location, and extension. If they don't respond, disable the TN for 10 days. If no one complains, out it. Put all of this data in a spreadsheet and then start tracing TN's to locations on the panel. When you're done, clean up the panel. Now you have perfect system and cable records. Just something to do...

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help? Call Me Now!

Haha... just something to do... that's true :)
I'll use that as a last resort ;)

Will try the midnight run next week and read up on the usage of ACD and Phantoms.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction!

Cheers!

all of those are good suggestions. none of them help with analog stations.. two ways that i have used for analogs is cdr.. run reprots on ext.. if they didn't call out in the last x weeks disable the tn.. another and way more time comsuming is open one side of the line, put a ringer (any analog phone) in series and call the dn.. if there is a ringer cap across the far end the test phone will ring.. we did that here with 4500+ analog sets and got back ever 200 tn's lic and did's.. we did knock out a few wireless phones..

you can get a sec to call all the analog sets, that can elimitate up to 90 percent depending on the site.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Tip and Ring tricks are always the best. My son always wonders, "where did you learn that?". The Bell System...
Thank John

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help? Call Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back