Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning the inside of a computer 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsurikov

Technical User
Jul 10, 2003
US
Hi O Experts,

Can any of you suggest a good way to clean the inside of a computer? I've got a 4-year old PC that has some dust buildup on the inside, and I'd like to clean it up. I was thinking of using a vacuum cleaner and one of those "canned air" canisters... is that reasonable?

Thanks!
--Michael

I haven't heard of the "water and detergent" method being used anywhere today, but for anyone else interested in seeing what's involved, check this out:

Just for the record, removing excess solder requires buffing, wiping, and for workers to be encased in small space cubes to prevent the spread of particles. It's not a cheap process by any means and surely no cheaper than using water and detergent.

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

What is cleaned off of circuit boards is flux, rather than excess solder. No amount of soap and water will clean off solder. Flux is used to assist the solder to adhear to the wire or circuit board. But it needs to be cleaned off because sometimes the flux will collect moisture and cause shorts.

orypecos,
Perhaps you are referring to simpler PCB designs that only involve one or two layers. In more complex boards, the method of "Wave Soldering" is used towards the final steps in the manufacturing process. The board passes over a wave of flux which deoxidizes the metal points on its underside. Then it's heated and passed over a wave of solder. Afterwards, it's buffed to remove excess solder and smooth out sharp edges (that's right, buffed not washed). Here's a view of the buffing process:

Here's a detailed description of the soldering process:

Any more questions or concerns out there, cuz it seems that we are focusing too much on this subject. The thread owner has gotten the answer he was looking for.

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

If you don't want to take your system to pieces then I would recommend using a paint brush to remove the dust and dirt, a vacumm will do fine to suck it up.

NOTE: The paint brush must be made with real bristles, NOT nylon (get one with a wooden handle too if possible). Static and PC's don't go together. Likewise don't touch any part of the PC with the vacumm nozzle. Be carefull of jumpers, make sure they are fully seated. If they come off first you may have to sort through the hoover bag and then you've got to figure out where it goes. Yes I speak from experience.

I have used this method for years and it seems to work fine for me. Stipping down machines is all well and good if there is only one or two, when your cleaning a couple of dozen it becomes a little long winded. Also cans of compressed air cost money, one paint brush should last you years.

As for physically washing a PC yes I've had a friend wash dried on orange juice of a board, dried it under a hand drier and back in and working within a couple of hours on a critially important system. However only ever done as a desperate measure. On a parting note many years ago a slighty intelligence challanged customer after being advised to clean his hard drive (I hasten to add not by myself) did just that. Then couldn't understand why after stipping the drive down, washing the parts and reassembling them it refused to boot up. No urban myth, just born and raised in Deal, Kent, UK. If you know the area you know what the people are like.......

Regards,

Gavin Coles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back