Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning root file system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oshkhaine

Programmer
Sep 19, 2002
BD
What are the files I can delete from the / file system, if it gets bigger in size.

Hi

Find all Corefile in your /
Where is your root Users Homedirecrory ?
Cleanup all history Files, all smit.log files
The / will need also space for the Subdirs: /etc /dev /opt ....
Change the root Homedirectory to a own FS like /root /home/root, and delete then all the old Data in / .dt .....

Hello,
Go to then do search on techsupport you will find a site and you have to search for document that talks about / file system and what files should be kept and what files can be deleted.

Hi,
a fast look at a generic path is to do a

find /home/myfiles -ls | pg
or
find /home/myfiles -ls > /tmp/mylist.

The -ls flag in find shows many attributes, and
if you give a look for files grater than others,
you find the cause.

Exists also -size flag, but the best is if you see by your
eyes them.

In case of / path, in the output, you see all files
of your host ( plus NFS mounted! ) and they may be a lot;
however usually the / files are at bottom of list.

To be more scientific, the right sol. is to use a special
flag in find command: it avoids that the command traverse
the filesystem which belong a path

find / -xdev -ls | pg

bye.

PS: last friday I found a 100% / fs with a file
/dev/rmto ( 10 Mb ) : a user had mismatched a 0 by o.

hi victorv

what should i do with the output of the given command?
I could not get it.

Usually smit.log and smit.script grows very fast. You can use "ls -l" to see their size. If they're very large, truncate them by using " > smit.log" and "> smit.script". Maybe you also have to do the same on ".sh_history".

Good luck!

Hi

I always truncate the smit.log but I had no idea that you can truncate the smit.script too (I thought it hold all the info for running smit)?

Regards

KOG

The smit.script is a script with the executed commands from your work with smitty/smit.

I prefer to use the smit.script to clone my work on other machines. like: add users, FS, installing Packages......

Its not a Problem to delete the smit.script files.
Did you have netscape installed and a User has his Homedirectory in / ?

Then delete the .netscape Directory

i think other than smit.log and smit.script files there are other files which can be deleted. But I do not know exactly ..

If /var isn't in it's own filesystem, /var/adm/wtmp often gets a bit unwieldy too and can be cleared down. Check for rogue print files too - these can be a problem. Cheers.

There are many /tmp directories in different file systems.Can I delete the files from those directories.

May be you don't need the [tt]/image.data[/tt], [tt]/bosinst.data[/tt] after a backup... and many be you can put [tt]/etc/dumpdates[/tt] on another filesystem.
I hope it works...
Unix was made by and for smart people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back