Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning required status with DLT's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almow

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
US
We are having a problem where periodically tape drives will get a "cleaning require" status in the NetWorker GUI. When this happens the tape is somehow moved back to its slot in the library and NetWorker goes into a vicious cycle of trying to verify the label and eject the tape that is not there. Eventually resulting in the tape drive being disabled. Legato has told us that the problem relates to a SCSI alert from the hardware that W2K is falsely interpreting as "cleaning require before the tape drive can be used again". We have tried numerous configuration/workarounds to no avail. Has anyone else seen a problem similar to this?

We are running Windows 2000 on a Proliant server with a direct attached TL895 library with 5 DLT/TZ89 35/70 tape drives.

We don't use the cleaning system in Legato, but my DLT drives are requiring cleaning more than once a week for the last 6 weeks. This results in unexpected issues with loading/reading/labeling tapes.

We just replaced one of the drives yesterday to see if the problem lessens.

We have turned off the auto clean function as well, but still get the cleaning required error...read open error: The device has indicated that cleaning is required before further operations are attempted. And yes, we see the problem during loading/reading/labeling of tapes. And as you stated the results are unexpected. Recently Legato has pointed to "Removable Storage" as not being a support service. Making configuration changes per the "Admin Guide" and stopping the service all together has no effect.

Are you still seeing the problem even after replacing the drive? I assume that you are using Compaq equipment?

I now have problems with the second drive in the chassis that we worked on yesterday.

The drives and library are Overland, though that does not matter. After speaking with Overland a few minutes ago, they concur with my assessment that this is a scsi issue. There is likely a loose connection somewhere in the chain that is causing frequent rereads, which in turn cause the cleaning lights to come on. That also accounts for the read open errors.

Overland is sending someone out today. I am going to have him reseat all of our cabling both inside and outside of the drives and chassis.

ATL P2000 Fibre attached library, 6x dlt 7000s, 200 slots. Networker 6.0.2 on win2k, sp2. We too are having consistent problems with drives being marked dirty in no apparent pattern. Removable storage is disabled in win2k, all drives have been replaced, some more than once, all to no avail. The drive dirty light comes on, yet when ATL removed the drives to have a look, they were already clean. Firmware was upgraded on the drives from ver 95 to ver 101, this didn't help. Disabling 2 drives seems to help a bit, but not much of a workaround for a 6 drive library - might as well sell the extra 2 drives ! Running on a storage node also makes no difference. Didn't have these problems on 5.5.3.
Calls open with legato and ATL for months now, each blames the other !
Thinking of going to 6.1.1.
Thoughts ?

We see the problem with v6.1.1 too and have also had a case open with Legato for months. Funny that they told us that no other customers have reported the problem. Some things never change! :-S

We have noticed that the cleaning required light does light up on the tape drive when the problem occurs leading us to think that it could be hardware, but this does not explain why we only see the problem with W2K and not NT4 or Tru64. We have escalated the problem to Compaq Engineering and field support, but have nothing new to report at this time. The problem is a global issue seen in most of our regional offices leading us to think that the problem is most likely not a tape quality issue. Besides we have seen the error with brand new tapes. Tape quality can cause excessive cleaning require issues for DLT tape drives.

Hope this helps...let's stay in touch :p

Almo

Have just read some release notes on 6.0.3, looks like it will fix the cleaning problem on win2000 platforms, and also the problems we see on netware clients, where the library does repeated load/unloads of the tape needed for the restore.
We'll be installing it this Sunday, so I'll let you know how it goes.

oodeano, Do you have a Legato case number. I would like to cross reference with Legato, if that's okay with you.

Almo

What driver are you using for the DLT devices?
Windows2000 loads a driver but is recommended to load the Quantum driver.

We had a problem with cleaning tapes(20-30 cleanings a day) in STK robots 9740 and after a lot of discussions with STK who blamed Legato and Legato who blamed STK it turned out to be a problem in the robot, and when they upgraded the microcodes in the DLT drives, the problem was fixed. So also check with your hardware vendor.

Sorry,Guys, been away ..
We use the quantum driver ver 1.2 , dated sept 7, 2000 , QntmDLT.sys, but the native windows driver is no better or worse.
6.0.3 installed OK, still getting dirty drives, but a bit better than before. Difference now is that the drives will eject the tape when they mark dirty, instead of disabling themselves and trapping the tape inside. No other dramas with 603..
Having Enstor (Legato resellers) come in on Friday. Will see what they say...
My offsider logged the call with Legato - he's got the call number, and he's away at the moment ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back